rjj1902
Had this question 6
Question
rjj1902 asked on

Update for windows 7 (KB980408) Messes up my laptop

Please help me.

Basically like usual I went in to my update selected all then hit download and install. I continued as usual but then my screen went blank with the little line blinking at the top left hand corner. Then screen went totally blank. After a few minutes I shut of my computer ny holding the button then started it up again. I chose to start it normally thinking that it was just a glitch. Then when the little red,green,yellow,blue windows icon came up it said underneath that it was configuring updates then started to count up to 3000 or so. After it was done I heard the do, ding ding but the screen remained the same after a few minuets I restarted my laptop again with the button chose to start in safe mode then used system restore to fix computer. I need to know how to get this update or if I even need it? I'm running windows 7 home premium on a hp compaq presario laptop And I will provide further info for those who ask. I Will not be updating till I know what to do.

Thanks

P.S the Update was "Update for windows 7 (KB980408)' Along with-"Intel Corporation - Display - Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family" "Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows 7 (KB980302)" "Update for Windows 7 (KB975496)" "Update for Windows 7 (KB975422)" and "Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB972696 (Definition 1.81.746.0)" I don't know if any of these had to do with the problem.

rjj1902
Found this helpful 2
Answer
rjj1902 replied on

Thanks. I have fixxed the problem and I was able to boot from my 7 disk. I have done a sistem restore and I have blocked the update so that I will never do it again. Thank you for the help guys.
John Rubdy
Found this helpful 0
John Rubdy replied on
Microsoft Support Engineer

Hi,

Since we do not know which update is causing the issue, I would suggest you to install the updates one at a time and check which update is causing the issue. Once we know which update is causing the issue we could suggest further steps depending on the update.

See which Windows updates are installed

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/See-which-Windows-updates-are-installed

Hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you require further help.

Regards

Rehman – Microsoft Support

John S
rjj1902
Found this helpful 0
rjj1902 replied on

Ok

Sorry for the confusion but now I am totally messed up. Earleir today I was able to install the Update for windows 7 (KB980408) and had not a problem but as you said I then tried one of the optional ones (-"Intel Corporation - Display - Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family") And after which I was not able to start my laptop. I was thne able to start throught safe mode and do a sistem restore to when I had started the update. After that I was totaly locked out. I couldn't start in safe mode or normal mode. I would chose either then itwould load and my screen would go blank except the little mouse which I could move. I am now using my desktop and really need some advice. Compleatly wipeing is not an easy thing for me as I share the laptop and I would be in some serious explaining to get out of that. I always thougth that these updates where supposed to help. Well now I could really use some.

Also I can't use that link as I'm not on my laptop but thanks I really appretiat the help. Pardon My spelling

Mike - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 0
Mike - Support Engineer replied on

rjj1902,
     You should first boot to the System Recovery Options either from the partition on your hard drive or with a Windows 7 DVD or System repair disk.  Then run the Startup repair tool from that menu.  Post back with the results of the Startup repair.
Mike - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Mike Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us kn
rjj1902
Found this helpful 2
Answer
rjj1902 replied on

Thanks. I have fixxed the problem and I was able to boot from my 7 disk. I have done a sistem restore and I have blocked the update so that I will never do it again. Thank you for the help guys.
grdh20
Found this helpful 0
grdh20 replied on

fix:

http://www.overclock.net/windows/721973-msupdate-kb980408-warning-all-win7-x64-2.html