Amanda36a
Had this question 5
Question
Amanda36a asked on

Unable to install windows defender update KB915597 on Windows vista.

My update history shows clearly that a recent windows defender download KB915597 failed to install.  In the past when I have had downloads fail to install via automatic updates I have gone directly to the microsoft.com website and downloaded the file specifically.  The problem has sometimes been because of a need to tick an authorisation box.  In this instance when I went to the microsoft down load website it did not recognise the existence of the file KB915597 so I am at a lost as to what to do although the automatic updates has not attempted to repeat the download.
Amanda36a
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Amanda36a replied on
I have inadvertently managed to solve this problem.  I have just upgraded to office 2010 and in doing so when the pprogramme picked up security updates for office 2010 the windows defender update KB915597 appeared and this time was downloaded successfully.  Thus it looks as if using an old version of office may have been the problem.
José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO
Found this helpful 1
José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO replied on

Amanda,

Can you update Defender manually via
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal>

Amanda36a
Found this helpful 0
Amanda36a replied on

Jose as you will have seen from my reply I have found the answer myself but then accidentally managed to mark your reply to me as the answer.  Just to avoid any confusion amandap108 and amanda 36a are both me - I wrongly posted the original question under my old profile name - I'm a beginner at all this so please forgive me!
Amanda36a
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Amanda36a replied on
I have inadvertently managed to solve this problem.  I have just upgraded to office 2010 and in doing so when the pprogramme picked up security updates for office 2010 the windows defender update KB915597 appeared and this time was downloaded successfully.  Thus it looks as if using an old version of office may have been the problem.