D Stanley
Had this question 12
Question
D Stanley asked on

KB981852 causes my laptop to become unbootable

After installing the 14 updates offered to me this morning, my laptop was completely unbootable. Fortunately I imaged my disk the night before, so I've not lost anything. After restoring my disk, I went through all the updates one by one, restarting after each was installed to find the culprit.

The update that kills my laptop is KB981852. The automatic recovery tools couldn't fix it, and system restore was of no help either. This is a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit on a Dell inspiron 9200. I'm running nod32 anti-virus, and previous to this all other Windows updates were installed. There were no errors or anything, it just dies and automatic system recovery starts on reboot, No BSOD or anything and I've got the automatically restart option turned off.

The system specs are Pentium M 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM, ATi Mobility 9700 128MB, 320GB Western Digital blue hard disk, Intel 2200BG wifi card (disabled in device manager), D-link DWA-140 USB 11n adapter. It's also running the latest available BIOS, A01 I think it is. I can give more accurate hardware information in a couple of hours when the disk is finished restoring again if it'll help. :)

This is a bit of a strange one though, my other 2 desktop machines running Home Premium x64 installed all updates and are working flawlessly, so it's got to be something this update doesn't like about this particular setup.

One thing I can add though is the original hard disk in this laptop was 80GB, and the BIOS has that 137GB LBA28 limit, although Windows sees the whole disk. If anyone has a workaround other than not installing this update or wants any more information, let me know.

CruzanCrucian
Found this helpful 0
CruzanCrucian replied on

My laptop does not freeze but the update is NOT installing and every time I turn my laptop on I am informed that an update is available to be installed (KB981852).  I click on the yellow shield and the process goes through only to have the update appear again.  After I install update, I reboot.  While rebooting, Turn Off tells me there is an update.  I click to Turn Off, the update installs and I am back to the same problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555461/en-us  I have followed the instructions in this article but it did not help.

I am using Windows XP SP3, IE8, Trend Micro Internet Security Pro on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4074.

Thanks for you help.

MichaelKim
Found this helpful 0
MichaelKim replied on

I am not so lucky since I have got no backup image. After last night auto-update I found my Windows 7 not bootable withA patch is preventing the system from starting when trying to repair. If I won't be able to boot - a lot of work is gone since I need to run a software to backup some critical stuff. All I can get at this moment is console and also parallely installed Windows XP.

I will be closely monitoring this thread and googling to see if any solution could be found.

Infonic
Found this helpful 0
Infonic replied on

Same problem on Windows 2003 R2 - the update has been applying for 20 minutes now (6 of 13); tried cancelling, doesn't work :(
Jaycee De Guzman
Found this helpful 0
Jaycee De Guzman replied on

All,

Simply uninstall and re-install NOD32 Antivirus.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Propose as Answer" If you find it helpful , mark it as helpful by clicking on "Vote as Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
Infonic
Found this helpful 0
Infonic replied on

All,

Simply uninstall and re-install NOD32 Antivirus.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Propose as Answer" If you find it helpful , mark it as helpful by clicking on "Vote as Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.
...Which I haven't got installed...
MichaelKim
Found this helpful 0
MichaelKim replied on

Me neither. Apparently this update related to Kernel Drivers messed up something seriously.

Still looking for miracle.

CruzanCrucian
Found this helpful 0
CruzanCrucian replied on

What is NOD32 Antivirus?  I have Trend Micro!  Acronyms don't help if I don't know what they stand for!

Also, you should note that I am NOT having the same problem on my HP Pavilion Slimline S7420n PC.  The 15 updates downloaded and installed without a problem.  I am not getting the repetitive request to install KB981852.  The PC has Windows XP SP 3 with Trend Micro Internet Security Pro, etc.

So, what is the problem?  Why is it only affecting my laptop?

HELP!

D Stanley
Found this helpful 0
D Stanley replied on

Hmm, I left my laptop restoring from backup when I went to bed last night, and when I checked on it earlier it had automatically applied all updates, rebooted, and it's still working. Strange, perhaps it was just old and tempermental hardware for me. The only thing done differently from the first three attempts is that the update was applied automatically instead of by running windows update. I see AV mentioned here as a possible cause, and it is possible that nod32 updated some time before the update was applied. Fourth time lucky I guess, now to update my backup image.
Jaycee De Guzman
Found this helpful 0
Jaycee De Guzman replied on

Hi CruzanCrucian,

Try to follow this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us.

BR4
Found this helpful 0
BR4 replied on

I had this exact same problem with my Windows XP install on a Dell D830.    I narrowed it down to the NTOSKRNL.EXE file (and related files) updated by KB981852.    I could not boot the laptop using any option, including safe mode.   I ended up using a Windows Install CDROM, booting into Repair - Console mode and then hand copying an older NTOSKRNL.EXE file into \Windows\system32 diretory.    Once I did this, I could then boot into safe mode (but only safe mode).   I then used safe mode to run the uninstall for the KB981852 by just running the uninstaller EXE found in \windows\$NTUninsallKB981852$   This uninstall restores the other NT Kernel files and removes the fix from the system.   At this point my system is now back to booting as normal, although the Microsoft update wants to reapply the update.   For now I am going to avoid reapplying it. 

Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next