Mary BCC
Had this question 19
Question
Mary BCC asked on

KB975496 and KB980408 causing problems.

These two updates which I just installed have caused problems with my C disk.  The check disk says it can't run while the disk is in use and when have it run on start up it says it cannot do the job and to use system restore.  System restore says it cannot run without a check disk first.  What do I do?
Harry Johnston
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Harry Johnston replied on

Depending on which operating system you have, and on whether your hardware vendor provided you with proper media, you may be able to do a disk repair while booted to the Windows install DVD.

In Vista (?) and Windows 7 booting to the install DVD allows you to use repair tools, one of which is a command line.  From the command line type

chkdsk /F C:

and a disk repair should be performed.

One warning:- the last time I tried this it turned out that my disk drive was physically failing, and because of this the check disk failed, completely destroying the file system and causing complete data loss.  BACK UP FIRST.

Sherryg999
Found this helpful 0
Sherryg999 replied on

I had a different problem after installing these two updates - my scroll wheel on my mouse wouldn't work. I was able to uninstall KB975496 by going to uninstall programs, then clicking on View Installed Updates. Once I had uninstalled this one, my problem was avoided so I didn't try uninstalling the other one. See if you can manually uninstall the updates.

ghostinator
Found this helpful 0
ghostinator replied on

KB975496 & KB980408 Kills the touchpad on my ASUS n51Vn notebook. I've never had an update break something so basic. I tried reinstalling the device after navigating through windows but no success. I also tried installing different "compatible" drivers as well. Only way to get it to work correctly is to use system restore to restore system settings to before the updates were installed. I will try installing the synaptic driver and the updates to see how that goes. 

Hardware Info (Touchpad)

Currently installed as "Microsoft PS/2 Mouse"

Hardware ID: ACPI\SYN0A06

Parent ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2919&SUBSYS_1D771043&REV_03\3&11583659&0&F8

If you need more information regarding hardware, please don't hesitate to email me at brandon -a t- ghostinator DOT com

Thanks,

Brandon Cook

Grannie1234
Found this helpful 0
Grannie1234 replied on

KB980408 changes the context menus for all the drives, it adds cmd and search options so if I double click a drive it gives an error message as it tries to open the drive under cmd instead of the OPEN command
Moiraine501
Found this helpful 1
Moiraine501 replied on

After installing KB975496 and KB980408 I click to log on and the computer hangs up with a little box in top left hand corner saying  "Setting up personalizes settings for: Windows Desktop update"

Temporary fix uninstalled updates and disabled automatic update.

System info:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz

Frazack
Found this helpful 0
Frazack replied on

I have the same problem as graniie1234
tomato85
Found this helpful 0
tomato85 replied on

The same problem as Moiraine501 ("Setting up personalizes settings for: Windows Desktop update"), the only solution is to remove this update and hide it in the windows update control panel so that it does not install itself again. It's KB980408 that causes this ridiculous problem (because it was supposed to increase the system's reliability :/ )
Mouse7989
Found this helpful 0
Mouse7989 replied on

I have exactly the same problem!

I tried removing both updates... which has caused my computer to cry more! It's been "comparing to configure Windows" for over 30 minutes so far to no luck, shall keep you updated if I get anywhere with it!

KarlaK57
Found this helpful 0
KarlaK57 replied on

After installing these two updates (or even one at a time) my system won't boot at all. It goes into system repair mode. It won't do an automatic repair. It won't do a system restore.  The repair report says that c:\windows\system32\drivers\ksecpkg.sys is corrupt.

The only thing I've been able to do to repair the situation is to completely restore my system from the previous full system backup.

I have set up my Windows Update to only download but not install automatically.

Windows 7 Business x86 / HP nx7300 notebook

--Karla

dktc
Found this helpful 0
dktc replied on
i have similar problem. After i install the updates, computer randomly crash.

Rad201
Found this helpful 0
Rad201 replied on

My problems started with this update as well. It disabled my wifi, bluetooth, and sound. Now it can't find any wifi access points. The sound is completely disabled. I deleted the two updates, however, nothing has been changed. The same thing happened two days ago, after rebooting from a blue screen, the updates installed, and the same problems. After doing a System Restore everything worked great. I then disabled the Auto-Update which in turn cleared away all my System Restore points. Is there any way to do a restore without any restore points? Any1, pls help!
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next