HELP!!! SP1 Failure; Won't Get Past Configuring Service Pack.

Hello.  I replied to another post with the same info below, but I also wanted to start a new post with my specific situation.

Anyway, my attempts to install SP1 on Windows 7 Home Premium failed (or at least there's some big problem) such that I cannot even get into Windows anymore.

SP1 appeared to install successfully.  However, upon reboot, my system gets stuck at Configuring Service Pack 7% then 8% then 9% - ... - 14% (and it takes forever to get to 14%), then it reboots and starts all over again.  I'm never able to get past 14% and into Windows.

What can I do?  Any thoughts?   Any help?  If I can't get past this, I'm pretty screwed.

Thanks.

Hello lmttag,

1.     Have you tried to start your computer in ‘Safe Mode’?

I suggest that you try to start your computer in ‘Safe Mode’ and check if you are able to boot going past the configuring updates sreen.

Follow the below steps to boot the computer to ‘Safe Mode’:

a.     Restart your computer if it is powered on.

b.     Tap the F8 key after your computer initially powers on.

c.      Once you see the Advanced Boot Options menu you can stop tapping.

d.     Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight your selection.

e.     Select Safe Mode and press Enter.

f.       Logon to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.

If you are able to boot the computer in ‘Safe Mode’, I suggest that you do a System Restore on the computer choosing a restore point before installing Service Pack 1.

a.     Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list.

b.     If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

c.      In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.

d.     In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click Next.

e.     Click Finish.

You can refer the below link that will give you information on this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

Thanks,
Irfan H, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same exact thing here both machines with Windows 7 Home Premium. It never gets past 14 percent and it does exactly what you described. The only way i found to get out of it is boot to safe mode. It tries to configure at first but then says failed reverting changes. After a few minutes it reboots normally. However, sp1 is still not installed. There has to be an issue with the service pack itself. I'm seeing too many threads on forums with the same issue for it to be isolated.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Been banging my head against a wall for two days over this install of SP1.
Just found an answer that worked for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Give Full Permission to All Users/Desktop:

1. Go to Start Search, type in CMD.

Right click on CMD and Open as Administrator

2. Type each command below, pressing enter after each command. When asked to confirm press Y and hit enter:

cacls "C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop" /t /g everyone:f

cacls "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" /t /g everyone:f

3. Exit the CMD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium also and experienced the same problem with one crucial exception. After installing and attempting to re-boot, it tried to configure, failed, reverted, tried to configure, failed, reverted, but then booted normally. Someone I work with said that it makes two attempts and then re-boots as if the whole thing never happened (2-1/2 hours later) and that's what it did. Have you waited through both complete iterations? There's a chance it may boot normally after. I would suggest trying it. If it tries to configure three times then yours is acting differently than mine.
 Still haven't installed it. Waiting to hear of a hotfix or patch. It's frustrating to waste 2-1/2 hours just to find out it fails. When it fails the first time you know it's going to fail the second time too but you can't stop it because you're warned not to turn it off. Good luck and if you're successful in installing it please come back and tell me how you did it.
Wdrbbq

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried it but after pasting the first command and then Y, it said access denied. I ran it as administrator. I'm the only one who's ever used my laptop since I bought it new. Any ideas?
Wdrbbq

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 16, 2019 Views 3,596 Applies to: