I feel like a total moron about this whole incident.
Previously I've complained about an error known as Ox0000098. It turns out that I missed out the 'c' and I've been trying solutions for an entirely different section of errors. Not only has this wasted my time, but it may have royally screwed me over.
My laptop is now stuck in an update loop. I can't restore to any time before the update commenced either. In other words, I can't get out of this even with the recovery disk. The error that's come up, as implied, is error 0xc0000098 (a required file is missing
I'm guessing that I'm going to have to do a clean reinstallment and start all over again, correct?
So that error comes up whether you boot to the hard drive or try booting to the recovery disk both - or does the recovery disk work and you just can't get any of the available solutions to solve your problem? And you can't get into safe mode by pressing
F8 during the boot process (or have you tried that yet)?
The error comes up whenever an update 'finishes' (usually by skipping out the third step entirely). I restart the computer and it comes up. The only way to fix this particular problem is to system restore, which I can't do because the disk won't let me reach
a point before the update was due. System repair only solves the problem until I try to log in again, where the update continues.
Does that make more sense now? It's not an issue of the disk working or not, it's an issue of the solutions being of no real help.
Would safe mode delay the installment or not? I'm only looking to get on long enough to solve the problem via any solution I can find online.
I've heard that there's a solution which can be done from the command prompt (but I don't know what it is and I've looked hard for it and cannot find it). You need someone with more knowledge of the system (Like a MSFT Systems Engineer or an MVP) to reply
to your post with a proposed solution. I'm out of options other than a clean install. I don't know if safe mode would grant you access - but it's probably worth a try (it can't hurt to try).
I had run into this and what finally I tried after DOZENS of 'standard automatic repair' with the win7 source disc was:
1) enter repair mode (boot with win7 disc or a image usb stick), go to advanced options and open a command prompt
2) run chkdsk /b
3) binary compare (may use c:\windows\system32\fc.exe or windiff.exe found elsewhere and copied to a usb stick) the c: drivers (in \windows\system32\drivers\*.sys) with the source ones (usually x:\windows\system32\drivers). Rename the critical ones (those
not network related) in C: that are newer
4) xcopy the original .sys (from x:) of those renamed
6) if boot is ok once a time turn each of the renamed .sys back and reboot, if want to try find the culprit
I found this way was my ks.sys and probably was due to some update