ERROR E_FAIL (0X8004005) while installing Service Pack 1 for Windows 7

Original title: ERROR E_FAIL(0X8004005)

i HAVE Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on a HP Pavilion DV7 notebook

Windows told me that it had a update to install so I let it install Service Pack 1 but it failed and I got the error E_FAIL(0X8004005)

I tried again to let Windows install the service pack 1 but I first shut down my virus programs, but again the install failed with the same error code.

I then downloaded the Service Pack 1 from Microsoft and tried to install it that way but again it failed again to install with the same error code.

I then tried to install the Service Pack 1 in Safe Mode but again the install failed again with the same error code comming up.

I now am downloading

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [February 2011]
And will try again to install the service pack 1 again but really don't have to much faith this will work. Can anyone tell me what exactly the problem is that is causing the install to fail, I don't want to have to re-format my harddrive and re-install Windows 7 so I can install the service pack 1. Any help !
Steve

Hi Steve,

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned below.

Method 1: Perform a System File Checker

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 2: Try registering the following DLL files

To resolve this behavior, use theregsvr32 command to reregister several .dll files:

a.    ClickStart, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.

b.    At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press ENTER after each line:

regsvr32 Softpub.dll
regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
regsvr32 Initpki.dll

c.    ClickOK.

d.    Restart your computer.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same as above problem except different brand laptop.

regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
regsvr32 Initpki.dll

Both fail.

Now what?

My desktop update worked fine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I only had one fail that was

regsvr32 Initpki.dll

Thanks for your help, Do I go ahead and try to install the Service Pack 1 again ??

Steve

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We might as well put an end to this thread, I just had another failed atempt to install the Service Pack, what ever the problem is I will fix it by re-formatting my harddrive a re-installing Windows 7, I have tried 13 tiimes now and that's enough waisting of my time. Thanks for all the help and sugestions from all of you and hope no one else has to go through what I have gone through but it's time to re-format now, take care to everyone

Steve

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I finally got Service pack 1 to install after all the problems, this is what I had to do.

1. Use my Windows 7 Home Premium x64 disk and re-install Windows 7
  2. After the re-install Windows told me NET FRAME VERSION 4 NEEDS to be repaired so I let Windows repair Net Frame
  3. After the install I had almost 70 updates that Windows wanted to install so I went ahead and let Windows 7 Download and install all updates, all updates installed ok. After the computer re-booted I checked Windows updates and the Service Pack 1 was the only update left to install so I let Windows 7 Install it
  4. After the Service Pack 1 was Downloaded and installed Windows 7 confirmed that the Service Pack 1 Was installed ok

I hope the information will be of help to others

Steve

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On my desktop both regsvr32 Wintrust.dll and regsvr32 Initpki.dll fail. I already tried with Kaspersky disabled, a safe boot, scannow and the system readiness checker. My system was nearly new and I ahve never attempted to do anything at all dodgy with it.
This is really really really miserable. Something similar happened to me with Vista.
Ben

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2019 Views 3 Applies to: