Cannot get SP1 to install - configuring service pack and gets to 1% and reboots

Hello all.  I can't seem to find an answer on my own so here goes.  I am trying to install sp1 from windows update and it isn't working.  It will download it and even say installation successful please reboot to finish.  Well I go to reboot and it says configuring service pack and gets to 1% and reboots.  System starts back up and says preparing to configure updates, configuring service pack.  It gets to 1% and then says could not configure service pack, reverting back....  I have tried to follow the help it gives me(disabling my norton, installing tthat huge 300meg rediness pack thing and it keep doing the same thing.  Any ideas on what is going on?  Thank you very much for your time. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I have no failed updates except for Service Pack 1.

---Doug F.

BTW the error code it gives me is 0x800f0826

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Info about installing SP1 - http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2011/02/16/windows-7-sp1-follow-up.aspx

Steps to take before installing Win7 SP1...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Windows-Update-error-800f0826
Windows Update error 800f0826 is displayed when an update forWindows has failed to install and is preventing you from installing additional updates. Error 800f0826 does not identify the update that has caused the problem. The update that has caused the problem will display a different error. This problem affects updates for Windows only and does not prevent you from installing or automatically receiving updates for otherMicrosoft programs, such as the Microsoft Office System.

To prevent error 800f0826, you need to identify the update that's causing the problem (it will display a different error message), fix the problem, and then try installing updates again. Here's how:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, clickWindows Update.

2. In the left pane, click View update history.

3. Find updates for Windows that have failed to install. Updates that have failed will displayFailed in the Status status column. Make note of the name of the failed update, and then double-click the update to view more information.

4. In the Windows Update dialog box, next to Error details, review the error code for the failed update. If the description includes error 800f0826, clickClose, and then repeat steps 3 and 4 until you identify an update forWindows that does not include error code 800f0826.

5. Follow the links in the Windows Update dialog box underMore Information or Help and Support to try to fix the problem, and then try installing updates again by usingWindows Update in Control Panel.

6. If the preceding step didn't work, try the following steps.

7. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, clickWindows Update.

8. In the right pane, click one of the following links:

• Important updates are available

• Optional updates are available

9. In the Select the updates you want to install dialog box, find the failed update that you noted in step 3, and then clear the check box.

10. Click OK, and then click Install Updates.

If you could not find an update for Windows that failed because of an error other than 800f0826, or if the problem persists after you have followed the steps above, an error in another area of the operating system might be preventing you from installing updates. To request support by e‑mail, go to the Microsoft Update Solution Center website.

TaurArian [MVP] 01/07/2005 - 30/06/2011. The information has been provided *as is* with no warranties or guarantees. What works for some, may not always work for others.
No warranties or guarantees.
MVP 1st July 2005- 30th June 2016
WIMVP 1st July 2016- 30th June 2017

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have done all of that.  Been banging my head against my desk for hours now trying to figure this out.  When I go to check updates and look for failed updates, the only thing showing up as failed to install is my SP1 installation!   Any other ideas????

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for issues related to Windows 7 Service Packs. Availability of chat, phone or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Some issues may require more advanced support for which there may be a charge:  https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&gprid=14496&&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn 

TaurArian [MVP] 01/07/2005 - 30/06/2011. The information has been provided *as is* with no warranties or guarantees. What works for some, may not always work for others.
No warranties or guarantees.
MVP 1st July 2005- 30th June 2016
WIMVP 1st July 2016- 30th June 2017

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Am I the only person having this problem????   Any other people out there with a 2nd opinion???  Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Am I the only person having this problem????   Any other people out there with a 2nd opinion???  Thank you.
Nope, I am having a similar, if not exactly the same, problem. Windows 7 restarted after installing SP1 but then said update failed. I have installed the 300MB hotfix, and trying it again now. Will keep you updated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Downloaded and was installing then I walked away. Came back and said it failed:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932)
Installation date: ‎2/‎22/‎2011 5:53 PM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 800F0826
Update type: Important
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is a recommended collection of updates and improvements to Windows that are combined into a single installable update. The service pack can help make your computer safer and more reliable. A typical installation will take about 30 minutes to complete, and you will have to restart your computer about halfway through the process.
More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=206783
Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=206784

Weird thing is the computer says I am on SP1 now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, I am having a similar, if not exactly the same, problem. Windows 7 restarted after installing SP1 but then said update failed. I have installed the 300MB hotfix, and trying it again now. Will keep you updated.

windows 7 sp1 installed fine after installing the 300MB hotfix.

I have the 64-bit Windows 7 ultimate install. There was about 4GB of free space on my Windows partition. Used Windows Update to install the service pack.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, you are not alone .... I 'shut down' the computer and it says it was installing updates etc via windows update, now it just gets stuck on 'configuring service pack' 8% completed. And thats it, thats all it does.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've eventually done repair install using this guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html
It does not break much and I've successfully installed SP1 after this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No you are not.  I am having the same problem over and over.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 7, 2018 Views 4,616 Applies to: