ASCTray.exe system error program can't start because rtl120.bpl is missing

Upgraded to Firefox 6, it stopped the Netflix connection claiming internet connection problem.  Same with Chrome and IE8.  Web searching suggested Silverlight was the culprit. I uninstalled FF6, reinstalled FF5, uninstalled Silverlight4, reinstalled version 3, and still get the popup window announcing the ASCTray.exe message, rtl120.bpl is missing. Everything I can see, so far,seems to work, except my NetFlix, which is the most important to me. Anyone out there run into this? I just called the place which put my modest computer together for me, and He suggested that I not use the installation disc which would wipe out everything, and suggested I do just this, ask around. Thank you all. Ratguard
Answer
Answer
I want to thank whomever offered these productive suggestions. First, I have Windows Home premium 32/64, with Kaspersky Antivirus 2011.  What happened was,  I upgraded FireFox5 to the FF6 beta, thinking it wasn't beta, and it stopped Netflix streaming on FF6, Chrome and IE8.. I went on the web to find answers and decided to uninstall the v.6 and reinstalled FF5. I then uninstalled the Silverlight 4, reinstalled V.3, following a web suggestion. Netflix remained jammed. Not quite sure when the ASCTray.exe error message appeared. I uninstalled several other utility programs as ballast and called the folks at Santa Rosa Computers, who put together my modest set, and was told to search around some more and be careful of clicking fishy links.  I called NetFlix, and a charming woman walked me through a short procedure that got my Netflix back . Some where in all this, that error message disappeared. I didn't have to use this good help. I am, nevertheless, grateful to those who helped me. Kindness is the Best thing that we humans can offer each other. What the woman at Netflix offered was this: Start>Run>%programdata%>Enter. On the page that appears, click Microsoft. What shows is: mspr.bdds. Delete that. That is when the Netflix streaming was restored. Don't know if that will work for everyone else, but it did for me. She said that Silverlight "left things laying around". I also used the Silverlight  v.4 plug-in for FF5 and it works fine. It's all still a mystery to me.  Thanks to all. Ratguard.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
       I am sorry, my above comment omitted a step in recovering the Netflix. It goes: Start>run>%programdata%>microsoft>playready> then the page containing: mspr.bdds>delete. That's what she said. Ratguard.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2020 Views 39,199 Applies to: