Windows updates Not downloading/stalling/just not working.

Hi,

I've had this problem many times before, but always managed to sort it out, but this time no luck at all and it's doing my head in, I'll break the problem down so it's hopefully easier to understand.

- the update is saying there's updates to download so I click to download them in the update box it just stalls at 0% (even on the 30kb files).  It's also saying in the task bar icon that it's 99% finished when it's not doing anything.

- MSE is the same stalling in the middle of checking for updates

- So I downloaded the updates themselves from the update catalogue (KB982632), (KB981793), (KB976422), when I go to manually install them it stalls at the checking for updates (went for 8 hours yesterday just stalling at the checking part)

- Tried using Microsoft Fixit, that says that windows updates (WUAUSERV) can't be stopped, make sure you have privilege to stop services (I'm the only one on this laptop so the admin account is mine).

- With admin, the windows update settings I can't change, pops up at the top "Some settings are managed by your system admin see them for details)

- Not sure why it's doing that it never has done before, but we have just got onto a Wireless router at home, not sure if that has anything to do with it?

But other than that, that's pretty much all that's happening and happened, sorry for the long post =p 

Also, I'm on Windows 7 Home edition, laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A500, MSE and Comodo firewall are my Antivirus and firewall I've got installed as well as malware bytes (which I scanned in case of Viruses/spyware came up clean).

Thank you for your time and help.

Answer
Answer
Windows 7 Home edition, laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A500, MSE and Comodo firewall...

When (approx. date) did you install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and was the computer fully-patched at Windows Update at the time?

What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed MSE?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The above notwithstanding, we've known for quite some time that MSE & Comodo firewall don't play nicely together.

1. Uninstall Comodo firewall (don't just disable it), reboot & make sure the Windows Firewall is enabled. (Should happen automagically but you should check.)

2. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter from start to finish.

3. Reboot once more & test.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2019 Views 122,434 Applies to: