Marty.
Had this question 6
Question
Marty. asked on

System Freezes when i play Starcraft:Broodwar on Windows7

Hello there,

last week i installed Windows7 on my Computer and since then i have problems with my favourite game Starcraft Broodwar.
It worked perfect under Vista but now it's just crappy and instable. Sometimes my PC freezes after 10minutes, somestimes i can play for hours and nothing happens. The strage thing about is the fact that my music keeps runnig and the pc dont shuts itself down, it just runs and runs until i hit the powerbutton. Music keeps running all time but no key's responding.

All my drivers are up to date and i have all patches for Broodwar.
I also tried compatibilty Modes for several previous Windows Versions ( Windows XP SP2/SP3, Win2k and so on ). I also tried 256coulor modus and all that stuff and i also run this programm as administrator.

Hopefully someone here has got an idea.

Greetings,
Marty
Mike---
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Mike--- replied on

Marty,
      Have you tried running the game after a clean boot?  If not I would suggest giving that a try just to help rule out some other software that might be interfering.  Here is a link with instructions for how to perform a clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

As I searched for more information on this issue I did find one thing you may want to try and see if it is helps.  It seemed to resolve some users issues (however the issues were a bit different than yours).  Uninstall the game and then when you reinstall it, run the install in compatibility mode.

Let us know the results.
Mike - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Mike
Mark L. Ferguson
Found this helpful 0
Mark L. Ferguson replied on
It's likely that only a newer patch will make it run. You have tried all the available workarounds.
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
Rating posts helps other users
Mark L. Ferguson (former MVP)
Paul A. Smith
Found this helpful 0
Paul A. Smith replied on
Well I've not had any issues with Starcraft over here (apart from the colour glitching like you'd get with Windows Vista sometimes on 256 colour games).

Does the computer respond with a CTRL+ALT+DEL or an ALT-Tab?  If it does seem to act differently, try hitting Start, then pressing the Right arrow and then press enter.  That will by default shut the computer down, and will help us know if its just a display issue or if the machine has really frozen out right.
Paul Smith - MVP for Windows Desktop Experience... I've crawled off NNTP - for now. Posting from Aldershot, UK. On the internet at windowsresource.net and dasmirnov.net. Please post back letting us know what works and what doesn't. :-)
Paul Smith
http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
Marty.
Found this helpful 1
Marty. replied on

The computer does not repsond to any keycombination, expect if there is any "new" key combination like CTRL+ALT+DEL, ALT+TAB, ALT+F4 or something like that. The music keeps playing but just everything else freezes. The only way to shutdown my computer from that point on is to hit the powerbutton for about 5 seconds so it just power's off. I don't have any possibility to get back to my desktop or any other application. I have also tried to wait an look if its just stuck or something like that but after 30minutes it seems like its not the case.
Mike---
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Mike--- replied on

Marty,
      Have you tried running the game after a clean boot?  If not I would suggest giving that a try just to help rule out some other software that might be interfering.  Here is a link with instructions for how to perform a clean boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

As I searched for more information on this issue I did find one thing you may want to try and see if it is helps.  It seemed to resolve some users issues (however the issues were a bit different than yours).  Uninstall the game and then when you reinstall it, run the install in compatibility mode.

Let us know the results.
Mike - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Mike
notinredmond
Found this helpful 1
notinredmond replied on

See http://www.sevenforums.com/gaming/11659-starcraft-freezes-after-1-5-minutes-playing.html
flaer
Found this helpful 0
flaer replied on

bump. This problem is still an issue. notinredmond's thread established that the more background applications you have running, the more likely it is to freeze. FYI, just yesterday, on a clean reboot, the game crashed on my computer (triple-core AMD). There *were* background apps running, i think -- steam, skype. Also, I had found advice that set the affinity of the software to one processor, but it was crashing anyways.

glkoz3
Found this helpful 0
glkoz3 replied on

I keep forgetting about this small fix. But, yeah, Microsoft should up their asses to fix this stuff...
Bob_the_Nailer
Found this helpful 0
Bob_the_Nailer replied on

This works perfectly!

Quote: Originally Posted byelfus
Hi, after searching on the web for a while seems I found the solution (at least for my problem) which seems to be pretty much the same problem you are having.

I am using Windows 7 Build 7100, Starcraft: BroodWar patch 1.16.1. Whenever I start Starcraft all the colors are messed up, the same description as above and when trying to play multiplayer on Battle.net SC gets frozen.... can't move the mouse pointer, music is still playing and works.. alt+tab won't work, ctrl+alt+delete won't work either, I have to shut down my computer by holding down the power button for several seconds....

Now let's go to the solution...

1. open notepad
2. type the following:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
C:\"Program Files (x86)"\"Starcraft"\"StarCraft.exe"
start explorer.exe

Where the 2nd line is your installation folder, which may vary depending on where you installed it, and yes you have to use the quotation marks or it won't work.

3. Save the file with the extension .bat (batch file) where you can find it easly.
4. Double click on it and play starcraft, this will close the explorer (explorer.exe) and reopen it when you close Starcraft.

You can still have other programs open like winamp, skype, whatever, it works for me....

I hope this solution works for you as it did for me, I just found it on the web (can't remember from all the sites I visited to solve this issue)."

marcusjetson
Found this helpful 0
marcusjetson replied on
I concur. I had EXACT same symptoms, wHtats uP??
Indeed.
Squall_Leonhart69r
Found this helpful 0
Squall_Leonhart69r replied on

that is not a fix for the freezing.
Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next