Error (BF2142) has stopped working when playing Battlefield.

Original Title: Battlefield 2142 on Windows 7 starter/Vista

I recently bought Battlefield 2142 from the EA games official site and downloaded it onto my Windows Vista computer.(I bought the automatic download, not the disk.) After it installed I tried to play but the screen went black and it said the program was not working. I then went back to the site where I bought it and found that my computer didnt meet the requirements for that game. Then I went to my Windows 7 starter laptop and checked to see if the game would play and it met the requirements. So then I installed it and I tried to play it again and it still went black and said the program (BF2142) has stopped working. It said that I needed Windows XP so I right-clicked on the game and went to Properties and I clicked the option to make it compatable with Windows XP service pack 2 and then tried Windows service pack 3. Neither of them would allow me to play the game. Is there any more options I could do? I can't get a refund and I would like for this game to work and not be money I wasted. Thank you!

Answer
Answer

Hey JC9723,

What is the make and model number of your computer?

In addition to Chris's excellent suggestion, you may have a look at these as well.

Method 1:

a.    Go to BF2142 folder in C:\Users\Username\Documents

b.    In your profile folder open up the "video.con" files in all your BF2142 profiles directories and make sure that the resolution/refresh settings are supported by your monitor.

c.    If the refresh rate is supported, delete the video.con file (it will be rebuilt).

d.    Delete the contents of the Documents\Battlefield 2142\mods\bf2142\cache folder.

Restart the computer and verify. You will have to configure all the games settings manually having performed the above steps.

Method 2:

Update your Video and Audio card drivers to the latest.

For help, refer:

Update drivers: recommended links

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Update-drivers-recommended-links 

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

did you also try to launch in Vista Compatibility Mode? I played even BF2 on Windows 7.

And if there are any 3rd party installers on the disc, you should install them once again.

Other suggestions:

Change Data Execution Prevention Settings:

1. Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel , clicking System and Maintenance , and then clickingSystem .

2. Click Advanced System Settings .  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Under Performance , click Settings .

4. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select .

• Download the latest patch  

• Download the latest DirectX

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=3b170b25-abab-4bc3-ae91-50ceb6d8fa8d

• Set Affinity

Open the Task Manager, right-click on the bf2142.exe and set affinity to 1 CPU

Set display refresh rate to 60 Hz

Regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2021 Views 3,788 Applies to: