Hour of Malware begone
Had this question 5
Question
Hour of Malware begone asked on

Dead Rising 2 "cannot download the update" Error code: 0X800700B7

I popped onto Dead Rising 2 ready to play the game again, until I get a request for an update. I enthusiastically click Yes, and the update fails to download. I can no longer play the game.

I have tried reinstalling Games For Windows Live, restarting the computer to no avail. I refuse to uninstall Dead Rising 2 since I do not want to wait five and a half hours just for it to not work all over again.

Ive looked at the FAQ on how to fix this and it seems the one and only solution did nothing to help. Any ideas?

Error code: 0X800700B7

Hour of Malware begone
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Hour of Malware begone replied on

I've finally found out how to fix it. It seems that GFWL does actually download the update file, but doesnt install it because it thinks that it didnt install it. To combat this I manually went into my XLive folder and found the cab file for Dead Rising 2, and ran the setup. It now works fine and I can play the game to my hearts content.
Vinod N
Found this helpful 0
Vinod N replied on
Microsoft

Hello, 

I suggest you to put the computer in clean boot state and check if that helps.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Refer the link below for more details:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows 7:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note:

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps in the above article to reset the computer to start as usual.

Regards,

Savan – Microsoft Support.

Hour of Malware begone
Found this helpful 0

I have discovered that when attempting to do a manual patch of the game, the installer boots me out, implying that game isnt "unlocked" by GFWL and in order to update I must run the game. I do this, and it still won't work. Doing a clean boot didnt help, and it was very difficult to restore things back to the way they were.
Hour of Malware begone
Found this helpful 0
Answer

I've finally found out how to fix it. It seems that GFWL does actually download the update file, but doesnt install it because it thinks that it didnt install it. To combat this I manually went into my XLive folder and found the cab file for Dead Rising 2, and ran the setup. It now works fine and I can play the game to my hearts content.
DizzyDean1234
Found this helpful 0
DizzyDean1234 replied on

I appreciate the answer above - I'm just baffled that in this day and age, I can't simply buy a PC game, pop it in my PC and it just works.  I'm now 4 hours into this effort to get this freakin game to work.  I don't see the folder you reference above - likely it's hidden area.  Microsoft has lost its way - things have become far too complex.  I think I'm going out in the back yard and lit a match to the game and vow never to buy another Microsoft product. 

AlphaBetar
Found this helpful 0
AlphaBetar replied on

In my case after quite a lot of failed attempts it seems that the live update itself cannot complete whilst the game is open, so you go round and round telling it to apply the update.  Try closing the game after you tell it to apply the update, which itself took quite a long time (minutes) on my PC.
ChaseWilson
Found this helpful 0
ChaseWilson replied on
Another way that seemed to do the trick was to install the game somewhere besides the default directory. If I remember right all I did was took out the Capcom folder and it works just fine.
styleroid
Found this helpful 0
styleroid replied on

Im a noob to all this, but i found the file that says cab.For some reason its a rar folder and when i open it i dont have any software to run the files within. Is it me, or am i completely blind.

MuKi1115
Found this helpful 0
MuKi1115 replied on
I bought the game now 08/2011, after changing the speaker settings from 96000Hz to 48000Hz the game finally started just to fail to apply the update. The game starts, I sign in to XBOX Live, the update is downloaded, the update window tells me to close the game, I close the game, another update window starts and an error message tells me that the update has failed and points me to a log folder I'm unable to find. Oh yeah, I tried to install the update manually as you guys said but it just gave me the same error message at the same point. I use Vistax64, by the way. I kind of worked around the problem by creating an offline-profile for GFWL but I kind of find it annoying if one pays money for a game and can't use multiplayer features because an update doesn't work.

Help, anyone? Support?
rendition46
Found this helpful 0
rendition46 replied on

Where is the Xlive folder located?
Rob.C
Found this helpful 0
Rob.C replied on
Microsoft

Hello rendition46,

I would suggest creating a new thread on this issue to better get the attention of the Xbox community:

http://forums.xbox.com/

Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next