Transfer the Windows 8 license from the old desktop to another computer.

Hello, I'm purchasing a new Dell desktop with Windows 8 pre-installed.  My question is: Can I move the Windows 8 that I purchased

from Microsoft store from my out dated desktop to my Dell laptop which has Windows 7 installed.  When my new desktop arrives I plan on reformatting the C: drive and removing Windows 8 from the old desktop. Then I am going to install Windows 8 on my laptop with the key I purchased and the Windows 8 DVD that I also purchased.

Answer
Answer

Yes, you can move the Windows 8 license to the new computer, you might need to reactivate by telephone:

1. Press Windows key + X then clickRun, then type: slui.exe 4

2. Next press the 'ENTER' key

3. Select your 'Country' from the list.

4. Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.

5. Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6. Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Sammy,

We are glad to know that you have chosen the Microsoft Windows 8 for your computers!!!

You can definitely transfer the Windows 8 license from the old desktop to the Dell Laptop having the Windows 7. But, you should make sure that you remove the Windows 8 from the old desktop before you do it.  

Note: When you reformat the old desktop computer, all the data that you have in it will be lost. So, I suggest you to back up all the data from it, before you reformat it and remove the Windows 8.

I understand that you are having the product key and the installation CD of the Windows 8 that you have purchased from the Microsoft Store. You can use them while transferring the license from the old desktop to the Dell laptop.

Check the reply from “Andre Da Costa” in the thread links:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/transfer-of-license-to-another-computer/7e46d401-b19c-4310-82b9-0e3faaf27765

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-it-possible-to-transfer-license-from-one/0330733c-b3d8-4b94-8f61-f150665d306f

Always feel free to contact us for any help with this.

Thank you & Have a Great Day.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 2, 2020 Views 39,039 Applies to: