Windows 8 upgrade assistant says: "We can't connect right now... Check your Internet connection and try again."

Compatibility scan completes then I get the following message: "We can't connect right now... Check your Internet connection and try again."

I AM CONNECTED to the Internet. Been getting this message for 12 hours now.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It's been 17 hours and still getting the false "We can't connect right now...Check your Internet connection and try again." message.

I really would like to upgrade to Windows 8.

54 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem. Tried setting up server setting using netsh but nothing seems to work

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you getting error “We can't connect right now. Check your Internet connection and try again" while running Windows 8 upgrade assistant.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

1.      What is the Operating System installed on your computer?

2.      Are you using wired or wireless connection?

If you are using Windows 7 on your computer, please follow the methods.

Method 1:

If you are using wireless connection, try connecting the cable directly and check.

Method 2:

Let’s test the issue in clean boot.

Refer to the link.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista or Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE: After troubleshooting, revert the computer to start as usual (Refer to “Step 3” from the link mentioned above)

Method 3:

Disable antivirus software and check.

Refer to the link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the response.

I have gone through the steps outlined above but still gives me connection error. 

I am running Windows 7, and have a partition running Windows 8 Preview which downloaded without a problem. I am connected through a company http proxy requiring authentication. Could this be the source of problems, just wondering since I managed to download Win 8 Previews (both of them through the same proxy) without any problems.

Thanks in advance

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1.      What is the Operating System installed on your computer?

Windows 7

2.      Are you using wired or wireless connection?

I've tried unsuccessfully upgrading using both wired and wireless. Both connections are and/or were properly working.

If you are using Windows 7 on your computer, please follow the methods.

Method 1:

If you are using wireless connection, try connecting the cable directly and check.

Tried with cable, completed Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant compatibility check, but still got false "We can't connect right now...Check your Internet connection and try again." message. Again, with fully functional connection to Internet.

Method 2:

Let’s test the issue in clean boot.

Tested and completed Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant compatibility check after clean boot, but still got false "We can't connect right now...Check your Internet connection and try again." message. Again, with fully functional connection to Internet. 

Method 3:

Disable antivirus software and check.

Retested and completed Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant compatibility check after disabling anti virus, but still got false "We can't connect right now...Check your Internet connection and try again." message. Again, with fully functional connection to Internet.

Restarted antivirus.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue.  Could you advise what address the upgrade assistant trys to connect to so I can run some network diagnostics?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just double checked with the clean boot.  Same error message.

Windows 7 Home Premium > wired > Clean boot and AV disabled.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Never mind - fixed it.  Created a new Admin user and tried it from there and works now.  In the middle of downloading :)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, same issue here.

German message "Momentan kann leider keine Verbindung hergestellt werden. Überprüfen Sie Ihre Internetverbindung, und versuchen Sie es noch mal." Message meaning "Check your Internet connection and try again."

Running a German Win Vista SP2. Clean and brand new Windows installation (inplace upgrade). Lates Windows updates installed. No other software installed. Clean boot. Tried WiFi and LAN connection.

Work-around with new admin account did not work. Adding "microsoft.com" to the truested sites in IE neither.

Microsoft Support Germany told me, I don't have internet connection. Well, they send me a Web link for the installer - 5MB get downloaded in <15 sec. - installer ends with this error - and support tells me that I am not connected to the internet...

How can I install my brand new Win8? Any ideas?

Thanks

Ingo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same problem. It does the compatibility check. I click Next and then it says can't connect.

I called customer support twice. I told them Im calling about the $14.99 Windows 8 upgrade promo and that Im having problems with the Upgrade Assistant.

They asked me for my order number.... I told them I don't have one. I have a promo code and the website says I purchase it through the Upgrade Assistant...

Assuming the guy I spoke to had no idea what I was asking.. He goes on to say "Oh you need to wait 2-4 hours for an email with your order number to arrive..." The guy was dumb as a rock. I just told him I didnt order anything.

I then turned off my antivirus, loaded all services, disabled firewall, used a wired connection.. still nothing..

I call back.. a different guy asks for my order number and asks if I have an account with microsoft... I guess no one at Microsoft understands how this upgrade works. Me having a Microsoft account will in no way resolve the issue as to why Upgrade Assistant fails to connect to no reason.

He then transfers me to Technical Support... just for me to hear "Please call back during regular business hours"..

No wonder people pirate stuff.. If a company launches a new product and people can't even get it and customer service doesnt even have an explanation on whats wrong. Why give money to companies with horrible customer service.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 27,338 Applies to: