Boot Disk Failure in Windows 8 64-Bi.. help!

My install of Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit went great. It was a clean install to replace my Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. I bought the DVD and more memory as required. Mother board was loaded and capable of this.

My problem is that I have to boot my beautifully new program with a system disk. If not, I get nothing but a message that says, "Boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter. I must have messed up disabling my floppy drive that I don't have. Any idea where to go from here to fix it? Now I'm exhausted and confused. While it's running, it's great. I could go and never power it off, but we get lightening storms here and I feel safer doing that.

Hi,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft community, based on your post I understand you manage to setup Windows 8 successfully but when restart the computer you get and error message: Disk Boot Failure- Insert disk and press enter This might be linked to:

. The boot options not correctly set in BIOS

. To set the boot option refer to your computer manufacturer website, how to go to BIOS and change the boot sequence as it differs from one manufacturer to other.

· A non - bootable CD is found in your CD drive · the hard disk is not properly plugged

· Your system files have been infected Please reply if you need further assistance.

I would suggest performing the following methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1: Restart the computer by force shut down.
Once the computer restarts check if you are getting the same error message. If the error message exists, perform Method 2.

Method 2: Perform Startup repair
I would suggest you to perform a startup repair using Windows 8 bootable DVD or USB drive and check if that helps.
a) Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.
b) In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
c) Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
d) Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

Method 3: Perform Check Disk

1. Have you initiated the Check disk or is it starting automatically?

2. Have you made any recent changes on the Windows 8 system?

Method 1:

You may try to boot from the Windows 8 DVD and try performing an Automatic repair from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:

a. Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer

b. Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers)and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

c. Click Next and select Repair your computer.

d. You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.
e. You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

Method 2:

If you are still facing issues then you may try performing a check disk booting from the DVD by following above steps..

a. From Repair your computer choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.
b. You may choose Command prompt.

c. At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER

chkdsk /f /r  X:( drive letter)

d. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

e. Restart the computer.

Note: When you run the check disk, there are chances of losing data so you can take a backup before running check disk.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Regards!

Thank you,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I installed Windows 8 pro upgrade on my Windows 7 machine (very stable w/ win 7).

Lost my DVD, and Media Center (that I had with Win7) - Side problem, but may be related as it forced me to cycle through a number of install cycles to try to upgrade...

Tried to add features for Media Center. Bought a Key , then realized there was a free key for Media Center. Tried both. Installer fails after reboot and fails to add media center. Hence the many re-boots etc.

Windows 8 Pro Worked ok without the Media Center for a week, 

Then I get a DISK BOOT FAILURE, randomly. PC Wont boot ever after any power cycle.

Could be a HDD going bad, but it seems too coincident with the Win8 install and Media Center Updgrade.

I have no Win8 CD as it was an upgrade.
I may try Ultimate Boot Disk to repair boot sector, or check HDD health.

Any suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Turned out it was the order my computer was booting. I went into Bios once and noticed a Floppy drive and right off thought, "FLOPPY DRIVE! I don't own a floppy drive!, I'll get rid of that!" Will in some confusion as to how it all works, I inadvertently turned things around. I went back in after repeated re-installs didn't work. I wrote everything down for myself just in case I forgot what order it was in before. It took 15 minutes to get up and running perfectly. Now I simply need to learn my new system! Thank yawl so much for helping or trying to help as the case may be.  YEA!!! for the community!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was lucky enough to have the DVD so I could re-install. It wasn't the install though. Several support people had me re-install. I kept telling them I didn't think that was the problem and it wasn't. It was all in the boot. Thanks for the assist though. Hope you got your problem solved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good answers and advice, all of it. I do wish I had gotten the command prompt info sooner.  I had already repaired the problem though. I'm very impatient! It would have been much less time consuming your way. Thanks for going into detail. I'm sure many will be assisted here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm running into the same issue where I get "Boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter" every time I boot without a Windows 8 disk, but neither of the above methods worked.

Method 1 said Windows cannot be repaired

Method 2 said "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the same aforementioned issue and found out its an outdated BIOS that was causing it. I downloaded and flashed a more recent one and got rid of the problem. It was an Asus p5n-e sli in my case. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just wanted to say that....I LOVE you MAN! In the like...straightest way EVER! :D

This worked for me
"Method 2: Perform Startup repair
I would suggest you to perform a startup repair using Windows 8 bootable DVD or USB drive and check if that helps.
a) Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.
b) In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
c) Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’. 
d) Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 28, 2021 Views 16,378 Applies to: