Windows API error 5

I run MikTeX 2.9 and Windows 8 on my HP laptop.  MikTeX is an app which helps typeset articles for science journals.  The MikTeX program comes with a package manager (for installing formatting packages already included with MikTex) and "MikTeX update", which allows users to download new packages and upgrades, as they become available on the MikTeX website.   When I try to run either program, I get an error message "Windows API error 5 (or 5c) Access denied". ( I believe "already included" packages also must go to the MikTeX website, because there is only a .tpm file on my computer, for each "already included" package.)  My best guess is I' m being frozen out of the MikTeX computer for some reason.  But is it possible I am just missing some Windows software that could cure the problem?  Thanks. 

Hi Donald,

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue.

-          Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

-          Is the issue specific to this application or program?

-          Have you logged in to the computer as an administrator?

-          Do you have the latest version of MikTeX program installed on the computer?

This issue might occur if the system files associated with the program are not working properly.

Let us follow these methods and check if the issue persists.

Method 1.

Temporarily disable security software, reboot the computer and check if the issue persists.

Disclaimer: If you have to temporarily disable the antivirus to install other software; you should enable the antivirus as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to virus attacks.

Method 2.

Boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue persists.

When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7, Windows 8:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks to Srimadhwa B for his reply--it looks worth trying.

Maybe Norton Internet put this app on a blacklist. 

Now if I could just figure out how to shut down Norton!

There's no obvious menu item for doing this and Norton's

"Help" page is unhelpful.  Such are the joys of a user

who really should get his hands dirty and learn the inner workings

of his machine.   Donald Neville 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Refer to this article to turn off Norton security.

Turn On or Off Norton Internet Security: http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Turn-On-or-Off-Norton-Internet-Security-How/td-p/681523

Disclaimer: If you have to temporarily disable the antivirus to install other software; you should enable the antivirus as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to virus attacks.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A footnote to today's reply:

After signing off, it occurred to me to try "firewall"

in Norton Help.  I was able to locate the Norton window

where Norton allows or blocks downloads, and

I added the appropriate exe files from my app.

Still got the same error messages.  Donald

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue persists.

When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7, Windows 8:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us posted on the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 3, 2023 Views 4,191 Applies to: