Windows 8 startup error - page fault in nonpaged area

Hi,

I have been upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 using the promotional upgrade assistant. The setup process has been working very well and I could find my new work environment, files and programs working.

When I first restarted my computer, The Windows 8 start-up agent got me to a BSOD "page fault in nonpaged area". This BSOD come every time I boot Windows 8. Earlier, I could use the safe mode with network to get a limited access to my computer...

... but mysteriously now starting the safe mode leads to a black screen.

When I had the chance of using the safe mode, I removed all the startup apps and uninstall some software that were declared "non compatible" in the upgrade assistant but it did not help.

I have tried to boot a Windows 7 installer drive to reset my computer (pen drive with ISO) but the Start-up process "repaired" my drive so it is now not working anymore.

I have operated a RAM check and logically, this problem DOES NOT come from any hardware issue.

Could you please help me to fix this issue? In the worst case, I'd like to have access to the .ISO file so that I can build a boot and try to repair/reinstall the OS.

Hi Yann57050,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to remove all the external device and check.

Method 1:

Remove any unnecessary hardware connected to the system prior to putting the system to sleep. Also, verify that the latest drivers for the display adater are installed.

At the Start screen, type Windows Update .

Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results

When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “ Check for Updates ” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

Method 2:

If the above doesn’t work, I would suggest you to refer the link and check.

I would also suggest you to perform clean boot and check.

Place the computer in a clean boot state and then check if it helps. You can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

To set the computer in clean boot, follow the steps from the link: How to perform a clean boot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE: make sure you perform “Step 3” to reset the computer to start as usual.

Method 3:

Upgrade to Windows 8

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In my experience. A {Page Fault in a Non Paged Area} is NOT necessarily, bad Memory. This error can be generated by a corrupt value in your System Registry. Your Memory may be just fine. Check your Registry for Errors First. Don't rip your Memory Module out until you check your Registry first!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, follow the method shown on this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpR4_SZjyzU

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Couldn't agree more!

Let's be realistic here, Windows 8 is full of BSOD since it came out. And since then, all we are told to do is to install the latest drivers, to check this, to check that... and after all this is done, BSOD just keep happening. All over the internet, thousands of posts can be found about Windows 8 / 8.1 BSOD, no matter what brand the machines are, configuration, etc. People report BSOD happening on computers they have just bought.

This has been going on for quite some time now and nothing changes, nothing and nobody fixes the problem. No wonder other operating systems are going up...

Well, let's do what Microsoft tells us to do. Let's keep installing new drivers, disassembling and reassembling our computers, and losing data forever.

60 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 2, 2024 Views 56,767 Applies to: