Upgraded to SSHD, how to reinstall operating system correctly?

I recently bought a Sony laptop and upgraded the standard HDD to a SSHD, but ran into a few issues along the way.  I eventually had to clone my HDD, however I am left with a partition of the increase in HDD size that cannot merge it into C drive .  I also heard that if you want a SSHD to work correctly you should do a full re-install rather than the cloning option.  If I choose the remove everything and re-install windows option will it be the same as a fresh re-install?
Answer
Answer

Hi Christopher,

When trying to reinstall OEM version of Windows 8 to a new hard disk, the cloning of hard disk is not a very good idea. When you do this, as you have mentioned, there could be many issues with the operating system and with the hard disk partitions.

The option “Remove everything and reinstall Windows” available in Windows 8 is equivalent to a clean install of Windows 8 operating system. But, you will not be able to reformat the hard disk partition, when you do this. In this case, the Windows 8 will be reinstalled in the same partition as it is now and leaves all the other partition as it is. So, as mentioned in your query, you may not be able to merge the additional partition to the C Drive.

So here, we would suggest you to perform a complete reformat of your new hard disk (deleting the partition and recreating it) and then perform a complete clean install of Windows 8. But, to do this, you should first backup the Windows 8 installation from your old hard disk and then restore it on the new hard disk.

Please refer to the suggestions given by the MVP “Andre Da Costa” in the thread link given below:

windows 8 oem, how to install fresh.

Hope this is helpful. Please get back to us with the result.
Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 14, 2019 Views 1,455 Applies to: