unable to install Bitdefender Total Security 2015 getting Error: side-by-side configuration is incorrect

I just downloaded the Bitdefender Total Security 2015 installation files. When I try to run the exe. file to install the program I'm getting an error message saying the following:

"the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail".

To clarify:

- I already uninstalled all existing antivirus from my laptop.

- I already restarted the laptop.

- I tried downloading and installing the disreputable packages and installed them.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=bd512d9e-43c8-4655-81bf-9350143d5867

Please, any solutions?

Thanks

Original title: Bitdefender security installation error

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community Forum.

As per the description, I understand that you are getting an error message, “the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail" while installing Anti Malware Software, “Bitdefender Total Security 2015”. It seems like there is a corruption in the components of windows. I will certainly help you with the same.

1. Have you made any changes on your computer before facing this issue?
  2. When was the last time it was working fine?

As of now let’s try these methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

Boot the computer in a Clean Boot state and check the status. A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application service or startup item is causing this issue.

Refer to the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Once you will clean boot the computer please try to reinstall, “Bitdefender Total Security 2015”. If the issue persists follow Method 2.

Method 2:

The steps below resolve the issue by setting the default version of the C run-time libraries to the highest version number you have installed on your computer. To set the default version, you will need to modify the registry.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Please follow the below steps to modify your registry:

1. Press Windows + R, type “regedit.exe” (without the quotation marks) and press the ENTER key. If you see the User Account Control dialog box appear, click Continue
  2. On the left side, expand the tree structure until you find the registry key that starts with "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS\Winners\x86_policy.9.0.microsoft.vc90.crt_".
  3. Expand the key above.
  4. Below that key, you should see a 9.0 key. Select the 9.0 registry key.
  5. In the right pane, make note of the number you see in the Data column for the row where the Name is set to (Default), in case you need to revert to this number later.
  6. Look through the list of numbers in the Name column and find the highest number.
  7. Double-click the (Default) string value to open the Edit String dialog box.
  8. Replace the number in the "Value data" box with the highest number you saw in step #6. Click OK.
  9. On the File menu, click Exit to close the Registry Editor.

After completing step #8 the issue may be resolved. If you continue to see the same problem restart the computer. You may also need to follow the steps below to correct the file association error message.

Please try to reinstall, “Bitdefender Total Security 2015” again from the following website:

http://www.bitdefender.com/Downloads/

If the issue persists please reply us with the error details.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Regards,

Shivam Kesarwani

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 2,288 Applies to: