Getting error code 0x800704b3, also cannot run troubleshooter and cannot open Microsoft Store

My son was having problems with his Hewlitt-Packard gaming computer and tried running a Windows program for scanning and repairing the C drive when his screen went blank. We sent his computer to Hewlett Packard to be fixed. It just came back. The computer works and Internet works, but we get a Network Error saying Windows cannot access the C drive. It says "Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose." When we click Diagnose we get that an error occurred while troubleshooting: A problem is preventing troubleshooter from starting. The error code associated with the Network Error is 0x800704b3. This is with Windows 8. We cannot upgrade to 8.1 because the store also will not open. So every game or app downloaded from the Internet cannot be open or run due to this network error, we can't troubleshoot and we cannot upgrade. I've read chats about this network error and have tried going to search and typing CMD and have entered coding into the command prompt but nothing works. Also I cannot run it as an administrator because that will not open either. I have tried signing in as an administrator, but that doesn't seem to help. At this point, I'd like to remove Windows 8 and reinstall it, but I don't know how. Please help. I have placed a call to HP tech support but they haven't called me back, and I've been waiting all day.

Hi Jamie,

This issue might occur due to corrupt user account.

What happens when you try to access Store app? Do you receive any error message?

Rather than, reinstalling Windows again, let’s troubleshoot the issue by checking for the status of these issues on a different user profile.

Follow the steps:

Step 1:

Refer to the link to create a new user account and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Make sure that you change the account type to administrator. Open User accounts from Control Panel, click on the account which you have just created and then change the account type to admin. Go to step 2.

Note: This article also applies for Windows 8.

If the issue does not occur on the new user account, proceed to the next step.

Step 2:

I would suggest you to transfer all the files and folders to the new user account. Follow the steps:

a) Press Windows and X together and select File Explorer.

b) Click on View tab and click on Options at the top right corner.

c) Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

d) Uncheck the box which states Hide protected operating system files.

e) Click Yes to confirm, and then click OK.

f) Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.

g) Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:

•Ntuser.dat

•Ntuser.dat.log

•Ntuser.ini

h) Right click and select Copy.

i) Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New Username is the name of the new user profile you created.

j)  Right click inside the folder and select Paste. Restart your PC and check if you are able to access the user files using the new account.

Please reply us with the status of this issue.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

We did everything you suggested up to the point where we were to paste all files and folders into the new user folder. We were not allowed to paste the files and folders because it said we need to provide administrative permission. We then noticed that there are two Networks on the computer, the original one created and a second one, which I don't think is correct. The computer is called PC. Under Network, it says Computer (2) Jamie-PC and PC. I figured out the password to access Jamie-PC but when I open it, it's an empty folder. I cannot delete it. It shouldn't exist. How do I delete it? All of the user information is under PC, which is where it should be, but it doesn't seem to be active, or else Jamie-PC is somehow now the main Network. I tried moving the user folders to this Jamie-PC network, but it doesn't work. I think this "network" is what is causing all of the computer's problems.

To answer your first question, when we try to access the Store app, there is no error message. We click on it and nothing happens.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now I think that Jamie-PC may be my laptop that is somehow part of the network or homegroup with the Hewlitt Packard computer. So it may not be causing any problems????

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Issue still exists. Unable to paste into the new user folder. Says I need administrator permission. I did make the new user account an administrator, but still could not paste anything into the new user account folder. Please help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My problem has been solved by reverting the computer back to factory settings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for an update.

Do let us know if you have more queries on Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Jamie, could you please advice how you reverted it to factory settings? I have all the problems you have described above but don't have an installation disk. I have tried refreshing with no luck, and right now I'm resetting it and not sure it would work. I don't have a recovery disk but have created with my other laptop that also has windows 8. Thanks!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To get to where you can revert to factory settings, do a search on your computer for "Update and Recovery" then click on "Recovery options." Windows should take you through the steps from there. It isn't difficult but it can take a while to revert the computer. Also, when you revert to factory settings, you will lose all personal files, but sounds like you backed everything up to your other laptop. There should be an option to restore without losing your files, but I think I tried that and it didn't help. It was so long ago, I honestly don't recall all the steps I tried.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for your reply, Jamie! I reset it and it's working!! It took 4 hours, though. Everything is running smooth! Thanks again!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2024 Views 16,983 Applies to: