Computer lock up with "preparing automatic repair'

Dell home unit with windows 8 locked up at Dell logo with message  stating preparing automatic repair.Can't get past it with system recovery disks or changing bios. How do I get past the lockup? I tried to f8 into bios and did but nothing I could do allowed me to correct the lockup

Duplicate Post Content -

windows 8 stuck at Dell logo with "preparing automatic repair"
Been using my Dell desktop two months which came with windows8 preinstalled. After a partial download of some file from Dell (not wanted by me) I turned the computer off. On rebooting it goes into Dell logo with preparing automatic repair and stays there. I have changed the bios to boot from the recovery disks which it will do again to the same point of Dell logo with preparing automatic repair with no further action. I have changed the bios to legacy and made the DVD 1st boot and it goes to repair system but doesn't. Also tried to install from disks separately backing up data but still doesn't cure problem. How can I create a separate boot up disk so I can get by the automatic repair block or how can I boot up into safe mode when all I have is ability to get to bios or boot from disks neither of which are solving the problem

Hi Scout,

I would suggest you to try the methods given below and check if it helps, but before we proceed, please answer the questions given below.

1)      Are you able to boot the computer to the start screen?

2)      May I know the reason of performing an automatic repair?

3)      Do you remember making any changes prior to this issue?

Now follow the methods given below.

If you are unable to boot the computer to the start screen, follow the steps given below.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the devices connected to the computer except keyboard and mouse and check if you are able to boot to the start screen.

If the computer fails to boot, try performing safe mode with DVD and perform clean boot.

Method 2: Safe Mode (Please disconnect all the devices connect to the computer except Keyboard and mouse)

Let’s boot from the Windows 8 DVD and login in Safe Mode

a) Boot from Windows 8 DVD.

b) After you see a Choose an Option, click on ‘Troubleshoot’.

c) Now click on ‘Advanced Options’ and then on ‘Windows Startup Settings’.

d) Use your arrow keys to go to ‘Safe Mode’ and press Enter.

If you are able to boot in safe mode, please perform clean boot and check if it helps.

Method 3: Perform clean boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

If you are unable to boot the computer to the start screen, try performing automatic repair using Windows 8 DVD.

Method 4: You may try to boot from the Windows 8 DVD and try performing an Automatic repair from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:

a) Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer

b) Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

c) Click Next and select Repair your computer.

d) You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.

e) You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

Also refer to the article given below.

Windows hangs or freezes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post, we will be glad to assist you.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Scout,

I would suggest you to try the methods given below and check if it helps, but before we proceed, please answer the questions given below.

1)      Are you able to boot the computer to the start screen?

2)      May I know the reason of performing an automatic repair?

3)      Do you remember making any changes prior to this issue?

Now follow the methods given below.

If you are unable to boot the computer to the start screen, follow the steps given below.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the devices connected to the computer except keyboard and mouse and check if you are able to boot to the start screen.

If the computer fails to boot, try performing safe mode with DVD and perform clean boot.

Method 2: Safe Mode (Please disconnect all the devices connect to the computer except Keyboard and mouse)

Let’s boot from the Windows 8 DVD and login in Safe Mode

a) Boot from Windows 8 DVD.

b) After you see a Choose an Option, click on ‘Troubleshoot’.

c) Now click on ‘Advanced Options’ and then on ‘Windows Startup Settings’.

d) Use your arrow keys to go to ‘Safe Mode’ and press Enter.

If you are able to boot in safe mode, please perform clean boot and check if it helps.

Method 3: Perform clean boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

If you are unable to boot the computer to the start screen, try performing automatic repair using Windows 8 DVD.

Method 4: You may try to boot from the Windows 8 DVD and try performing an Automatic repair from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 8 computer follow these steps:

a) Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer

b) Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

c) Click Next and select Repair your computer.

d) You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and select Advanced options.

e) You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

Also refer to the article given below.

Windows hangs or freezes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post, we will be glad to assist you.

I cant get to the start screen. The computer boots to the Dell logo and stops there while showing the "preparing automatic repair" It will not go any further.

I didn't start automatic repair. For some reason after I stopped a nonrequested Dell download by turning off the machine, it started with the next boot and will not go past that point with either hard disk bootup or recovery disk bootup while using the UEFI mode of booting.

When I change the method of boot to legacy I can get the recovery disk to load. It does not give me any otions other than to reload the OS. I have had it try to repair but it found nothing to repair.  A second time I let it back up my data and reinstall the OS. After the reinstall it will still only boot to the Dell logo with the "preparing automatic repair" underneath.

I can access bios but cant get a screen allowing me to safe boot. Twice in the many times I had the unit reboot I did get a screen that had multiple options including safe boot and safe boot with command prompt but since I was pushing multiple keys dont remember which one(s) triggered the screen. On one occassion I did click on safe boot with command prompt but nothing happened.

I think if I could get back to the screen with multiple options and try safe boot it could work

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK I've got into the system using a windows 7 recovery disk. From there I can get to cmd at MSdos. From another post who had a similar problem there is a way to disable automatic repair from starting by using bcdedit and modifying it. Exactly where is bcdedit located in the OS. I need the path to it.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this concern ever solved?  I am now having the same problem, except my laptop is Lenovo.

307 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 13, 2021 Views 49,600 Applies to: