Windows 8 stuck in endless auto repair loop

When you switch on the PC it enters auto repair, the screen goes black, the repair fails and it re boots and starts the long cycle all over again. There are no menu options presented at any time and the PC will not boot up Windows 8 recovery or the installation disc. It reads the recovery media (USB or DVD) and then completely ignores it and goes through the cycle again.

Where is the option to break out of the cycle and enter a command prompt or limited start up like on previous versions of Windows? How can Microsoft be so stupid?

Has anyone out there solved this problem as there are a large number of queries on the web, but no sensible replies.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

​Hi,

I would suggest you to login to any other computer and create a Windows 8 installation disk. Using that disk you can perform the troubleshooting methods given below. You can create the installation disk form the steps given here.

How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

You can also try to follow the same steps using bootable USB drive. You have to select USB as first boot device from BIOS.

Method 1: Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8 installation media.

This is an alternate way to boot the PC and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 8 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
f) Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.
g) Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.
h) Windows 8 will then look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Method 2: Perform System Restore from Advanced Options screen.

System Restore allows you to restore your computer to a previous state quickly and easily without losing any of your files or personal settings. Sometimes when you install programs or drivers, they may affect some of the system settings and prevent other programs from working correctly. You can use System Restore to revert these settings back to their previous state
Follow the steps:

a) After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
f) Select System Restore.

After you perform System Restore your documents and files will always remain to their previous state.

Write to us if you still face any issues. We will assist you further.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

​Hi,

I would suggest you to login to any other computer and create a Windows 8 installation disk. Using that disk you can perform the troubleshooting methods given below. You can create the installation disk form the steps given here.

How to create installation media for a PC refresh or reset:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

You can also try to follow the same steps using bootable USB drive. You have to select USB as first boot device from BIOS.

Method 1: Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8 installation media.

This is an alternate way to boot the PC and run recovery tools when something goes wrong with the Operating system.

Please follow the steps given below. Insert the Windows 8 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

f) Click Automatic Repair from Advanced Options screen.
g) Next, choose the operating system by clicking on its button.
h) Windows 8 will then look for problems on hard drive(s) and verify that all required files are intact.

Method 2: Perform System Restore from Advanced Options screen.

System Restore allows you to restore your computer to a previous state quickly and easily without losing any of your files or personal settings. Sometimes when you install programs or drivers, they may affect some of the system settings and prevent other programs from working correctly. You can use System Restore to revert these settings back to their previous state
Follow the steps:

f) Select System Restore.

After you perform System Restore your documents and files will always remain to their previous state.

Write to us if you still face any issues. We will assist you further.

If only it was that easy. As I have said, I have both an installation disc/usb stick and a recovery disc, and they are all both read and ignored on booting up. The PC just reverts back to the continuous repair loop.

Apparently there are 6 ways to get to the advanced options. 3 require a successful boot, the 2 above requires the PC to act on the boot discs/USB sticks it is presented with (not read and ignore) and the 6th requires the foresight of your PC manufacturer to provide a suitable BIOS. There is also a techy 7th which allows you to reinstate F8 to Windows 8, but that also requires a working PC, and the forsight and knowledge to do it before disaster strikes. 

What Microsoft has forgotten is that you need an escape route when the PC is not working. At least I can reinstate F8 when the PC is working, but that does not help me at all now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have both an installation disc/usb stick and a recovery disc, and they are all both read and ignored on booting up. The PC just reverts back to the continuous repair loop.

Sound like a problem with your BIOS.   E.g. perhaps your (undisclosed) manufacturer provides a "fast boot" feature which thus disallows a switch of boot device?   Then you may have to pull the CMOS battery and make it lose that feature (for example).   Otherwise you should be able to boot from another device and see its UI.

Consult your user manual for less drastic methods of doing such a reset.   Some manufacturers now provide a special power-on button to assist with this dilemma.     Post your product number if you need help finding or  interpreting your manual.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So am I to understand that if the 6/7 methods of getting to advanced options do not work there is as yet no solution for the Win 8 Auto Repair loop??

Do I really have to go through all the hassle of sending my 1 day old laptop back because Microsoft have made a shoddy unstable os... again?!!

Edit:
I should add this is on an Asus K55VD-SX443H that came preloaded with Win 8.
Crashed while installing office 2010.
As no media was provided I have tried making a recovery disk on the only other Win 8 laptop I have access to, it said it was not the correct cd and wouldn't load from it.
I can get to the Bios but not to a command prompt.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do I really have to go through all the hassle of sending my 1 day old laptop back

on an Asus K55VD-SX443H that came preloaded with Win 8.

Are you having the same problem booting recovery media?

In any case, if you only have 1 day invested in the machine why not use its built-in restore to factory settings option?   According to an Asus KB article that would be done by pressing F9 while powering on.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm, I did try every "F"ing button during startup and never found this option (I'm sure I tried F9).
Anyway, gave up and sent her back :(

Thanks for trying.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have both an installation disc/usb stick and a recovery disc, and they are all both read and ignored on booting up. The PC just reverts back to the continuous repair loop.

Sound like a problem with your BIOS.   E.g. perhaps your (undisclosed) manufacturer provides a "fast boot" feature which thus disallows a switch of boot device?   Then you may have to pull the CMOS battery and make it lose that feature (for example).   Otherwise you should be able to boot from another device and see its UI.

Consult your user manual for less drastic methods of doing such a reset.   Some manufacturers now provide a special power-on button to assist with this dilemma.     Post your product number if you need help finding or  interpreting your manual.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

The PC is an Acer Aspire X3200. I have tested the alternative boot media on other PC's and I can see them being read on the problem PC. For example, on boot to DVD/CD I get a screen message from the BIOS that states that the CD is being read, and I can see and hear it happening. In the case of the USB stick, one of the sticks I tried glows when it is being read, so I can see this happening.

I agree though that something (possibly the BIOS) is inhibiting the PC from acting on the alternative boot media. It is a strange BIOS though, which has 3 possible settings for changing the boot sequence, and I have tried all of these. You can change the boot order in the usual way, you can also specify the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th boot device, and you can use F12 on boot to choose a boot device. 

I have not been able to find any information on this BIOS yet (Phoenix R01-B0) so any help would be appreciated. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have just tried using a boot CD rather than a boot DVD and it worked, so perhaps my PC does not like booting from DVD's. Is there any way of getting something useful on a boot CD? Windows 8 recovery is small enough, but I cannot see how you get it on a CD. Is there anything else I can boot that would help me fix the PC (it was an AVG recovery disc I tried, but this does not appear to be very useful).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have now found that it is just Windows 8 boot discs that it does not like. In fact when I eject the Windows 8 recovery disc, it stops with an error that still does not enable me to break out of the loop.

All I need is something none Windows 8 with disc utilities that I can boot.

The AVG recovery disc allows me to view files, but I do not know what to delete to stop the loop.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't repair using a disk because when I bought my laptop it already had windows 8 in it meaning that I didn't get a disk. Any help still?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2023 Views 35,849 Applies to: