windows 8 log me to a temporary profile, how do i fix it?

I was doing my work on windows 8. I took pause and my pc went on sleep mode. As I touch the mouse, I saw my profile name. I signed it but all my files were missing. I saw a windows message which say you have been log in to a temporary profile. I need help how do I fix this problem

Hi Uriel,

Welcome to Microsoft Community where you can find the answers related to Windows.

As per the description it looks like you are with your user profile after computer resume from a sleep mode.

This issue may occur if the user profile was manually deleted by using the command prompt or by using Windows Explorer. A profile that is manually deleted does not remove the security identifier (SID) from the profile list in the registry.

I would suggest you to Enable the Build-in Administrator account and check if it helps.

Enable Built Admin account.

a) Press Windows and x key together on your desktop screen.
b) Click on Command Prompt (admin).
c) Type: net user administrator /active: yes

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done

From Built in administrator account create a new user account and transfer the profile data.

Please follow the steps below to do that:

a) Press Windows and x together and select Windows Explorer.

b) Click on View tab and Click on Options at the top right corner.

c) Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

d) Uncheck the box which states Hide protected operating system files.
e) Click Yes to confirm, and then click OK.

f) Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.

g) Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:

•Ntuser.dat
•Ntuser.dat.log
•Ntuser.ini

h) Right click and Select Copy.

i) Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New Username is the name of the new user profile you created.

j) Right click inside the folder and select Paste.

k) Restart your PC and check if you are able to log in to default profile.

I would suggest you to try the following step and check.

a.     Hover the mouse to the right hand corner of the screen to get the charms bar.

b.     Select the option system.

c.     In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.

d.     Under User Profiles, click Settings.

e.     In the User Profiles dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, click Delete, and then click OK.

f.      Click Start Collapse this image Expand this ima, type regedit in the Start search box, and then press ENTER.  

g.     Locate and then expand the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

h.     Right-click the SID that you want to remove, and then click Delete.

i.      Log on to the computer and create a new profile.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Hope this information is helpful, if you need any other information about Windows, feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Uriel,

Welcome to Microsoft Community where you can find the answers related to Windows.

As per the description it looks like you are with your user profile after computer resume from a sleep mode.

This issue may occur if the user profile was manually deleted by using the command prompt or by using Windows Explorer. A profile that is manually deleted does not remove the security identifier (SID) from the profile list in the registry.

I would suggest you to Enable the Build-in Administrator account and check if it helps.

Enable Built Admin account.

a) Press Windows and x key together on your desktop screen.
b) Click on Command Prompt (admin).
c) Type: net user administrator /active: yes

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done

From Built in administrator account create a new user account and transfer the profile data.

Please follow the steps below to do that:

a) Press Windows and x together and select Windows Explorer.

b) Click on View tab and Click on Options at the top right corner.

c) Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

d) Uncheck the box which states Hide protected operating system files.
e) Click Yes to confirm, and then click OK.

f) Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.

g) Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:

•Ntuser.dat
•Ntuser.dat.log
•Ntuser.ini

h) Right click and Select Copy.

i) Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New Username is the name of the new user profile you created.

j) Right click inside the folder and select Paste.

k) Restart your PC and check if you are able to log in to default profile.

I would suggest you to try the following step and check.

a.     Hover the mouse to the right hand corner of the screen to get the charms bar.

b.     Select the option system.

c.     In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.

d.     Under User Profiles, click Settings.

e.     In the User Profiles dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, click Delete, and then click OK.

f.      Click Start Collapse this image Expand this ima, type regedit in the Start search box, and then press ENTER.  

g.     Locate and then expand the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

h.     Right-click the SID that you want to remove, and then click Delete.

i.      Log on to the computer and create a new profile.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Hope this information is helpful, if you need any other information about Windows, feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to help.

After I type in "net user administrator /active: yes" it says You have entered an invalid value for the /ACTIVE option. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3952. So I tried that and it said you have entered an invalid value for the *** option.

Please help I don't know what to do and I tried to fix it but it wont do anything, it said to try and log in after a while so I waited almost 2 hours and it still doesn't work.

VERY much appreciated if you can help me get my computer back to the way it was before this happened.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a similar with temporary profile and found your post. The reason for the error message may be that you did open the command prompt with admin privileges (b) Click on Command Prompt (admin).)

Looking around on the forum here it does not seem like Microsoft or it's community stars supporting the resolution of this issue actively. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 3,029 Applies to: