Unable to open pictures in Photo Gallery - 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item'

original title: Photo Gallery

When I try to open a picture in my photo gallery, it says I don't have the permission, when it was working just earlier today. I have tried restarting my computer and also going in from the desktop and going through my pictures library there, but still no change. It says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." When I try to open photo gallery on the start screen, it opens and then closes right back down. This happens the same with my calendar app. What do I do now?

When I try to open a picture in my photo gallery, it says I don't have the permission, when it was working just earlier today. I have tried restarting my computer and also going in from the desktop and going through my pictures library there, but still no change. It says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." When I try to open photo gallery on the start screen, it opens and then closes right back down. This happens the same with my calendar app. What do I do now?
You need to change the user account status to an Administrator,or;create another user account with Administrative privileges.
Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP
http://mymce.wordpress.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for answering my question. I checked my privileges settings and I am under the Administrator status. I don't know what else to do, as it does the same thing with my calendar app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi KristinNeal

I have exactly the same problem as of this morning - can't open any images and get the same error as you - happens whether I go in through the Photo app in the main Win8 UI or if I go to Desktop/Windows Explorer/My Pictures - I am also an Admin on my system. 

Did anyone ever give you an answer?

Thx, A

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am experiencing the same thing when trying to access a file on a mapped network drive. I have full administrator access and I am able to open the same files using the Paint app or other photo app.

Once I try to access a photo located on a network, I get the  "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item." message. Subsequent attempts to open the Photo app will momentarily open the splash screen and then close right away. The only way to fix it so I can at least see local photos is to reset the app or reboot the computer.

Laird Rixford
Insurance Technologies Corporation
http://www.getitc.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have Kaspersky Internet Security then it might be blocking the apps. Go to application activity --> select all. You will find *.html files belonging to the apps are marked as untrusted. Mark them trusted and then app should launch without any problem.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It does not matter if user is Administrator or not.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 2,212 Applies to: