Duy MinhDinh
Had this question 34
Question
Duy MinhDinh asked on

"The program (VUDesktopToast.exe - System Error) can't start because mfc110u.dll is missing from your computer"

I have just upgraded win 8 from win 7 on my sony vaio laptop. However, now when I start, on the screen it says "The program (VUDesktopToast.exe - System Error) can't start because mfc110u.dll is missing from your computer. Try installing to fix this problem'. So, please let me know how can I fix it?
ossie111
Found this helpful 10
Most Helpful Reply
ossie111 replied on

Same issue here...

After some investigation I found that it is the VAIO update application that runs in the background.

For now I uninstalled VAIO Update from "Programs" in the control panel - you can easily get to the Control Panel by clicking the Windows Key + "x" and selecting "Control Panel".

Updates are still possible through the "VAIO Care" application, just the checking and notification of updates will stop functioning.

I hope this helps!

ajeshdsouza
Found this helpful 2
ajeshdsouza replied on
Microsoft

Hi Duy MinhDinh,

I understand you are having some issues with a program.
Kindly answer these questions so I can get a better understanding of the issue

1. Do you get this error immediately on start up?
2. Before upgrading, do you remember using a the program "VUDesktopToast.exe"?
3. When running the Upgrade Assistant, did you get a notification about any
incompatible programs?

Kindly try these methods to check if the issue can be resolved

Method 1: Run the Safety Scanner

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Method 2: Start the system in cleanboot to check if the issue persists

Step 1: Follow these steps to start the computer in clean boot.
a)Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b)In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c)Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.
d)On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click
to clear the option Load startup items check box.
e)On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box,
and then click ‘Disable all’.
f)On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager window under
startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.
g)Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.

Step 2: Enable half of the services
a)Follow ‘steps 1a ‘and ‘1b’ to start the System Configuration utility.
b)Click the ‘Services’ tab, and then click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’
check box.
c)Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.
d)Click ‘OK’, and then click ‘Restart’.

Step 3: Determine whether the problem returns.
a)If the problem still occurs, repeat ‘step 1’ and ‘step 2’. In step 2, click to clear
half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.
b)If the problem does not occur, repeat ‘step 1’ and ‘step 2’. In ‘step 2’, select only
half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until
you have selected all the check boxes.
c)If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem,
the selected service causes the problem. Go to ‘step 6’. If no service causes this problem, go to
‘step 4’.

Step 4: Enable half of the Startup items.
If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To
determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat ‘step 1’ and ‘step 2’ without
selecting the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box in either step.

Step 5: Determine whether the problem returns.
a)If the problem still occurs, repeat ‘step 1’ and ‘step 4’. In ‘step 4’, click to clear half
of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.
b)If the problem does not occur, repeat ‘step 1’ and ‘step 4’. In ‘step 4’, select only half
of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you
have selected all the check boxes.
c)If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the
problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to ‘step 6’.
d)If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat ‘step 1’ and ‘step 2’ without selecting the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box in either step.

Step 6: Resolve the problem.
After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program
manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility,
and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.
a)Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.
b)In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.
c)On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.
d)When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Hope this helps. Feel free to get back to us if you have any other questions.

AnthonySee
Found this helpful 2
AnthonySee replied on
I also had a exact similar problem yesterday after I upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. The message will pop up off and on after starting. What is the best solution.
AnthonySee
Found this helpful 0
AnthonySee replied on

Is this happening on Sony Vaio computer as mine is also a Vaio Sony laptop.

Humberto Ghost
Found this helpful 0
Humberto Ghost replied on

I also have a vaio with same problem.

Sabrina91
Found this helpful 0
Sabrina91 replied on

I also have a vaio and this happened, further it's the first ultrabook.
Marilyn O
Found this helpful 0
Marilyn O replied on
Microsoft

Hello all,

We are checking into the issue where you are getting the error, mfc110u.dll is missing.

It would be helpful if each of the users having this issue would take the time to respond back to the questions below that will help with troubleshooting to try and pinpoint the issue. Please answer all questions when you reply back.
1) What make/model computer are you running? Be specific
2) From what operating system, did you upgrade to Windows 8?
3) Did you upgrade using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant or did you create an ISO to use that method to upgrade? Or did you upgrade from a retail disc?
4) When do you get the error message? Please give exact details and error message.
A screenshot would be helpful
5) Do you only get the error at startup or does it occur at any other time?
6) Is the error message, a pop-up dialog box?
7) What anti-virus are you running?
8) If you have uninstalled your anti-virus did you use the manufacturer removal tool to uninstall?
9) Have you run any registry cleaner either as part of an anti-virus or installed and run separately? If yes, what is the brand name of the registry cleaner?
10) Please check the event viewer in the system and application logs for any red errors. Then look to see if any errors mention mfc110u.dll or VUDesktopToast.exe.
Please copy and paste any relevant event viewer errors.

To get to event viewer in Windows 8:
Go to the Start Screen. Type in Event Viewer.
This will bring up the Event Viewer box. Click to open the event viewer.
In the left pane, expand out Windows Logs.
Click on Application log. Highlight the first event in the log and use your arrow keys to scroll down. Most of your event will be Information. You may see Yellow Warnings or Red Errors. If you see an red error, you can double click on it to bring it up and copy the contents to a document.

Please reply back as soon as possible and so we can gather the relevant information.

Thanks,

Marilyn

JohnsonfangCN
Found this helpful 0
JohnsonfangCN replied on

Dear Marilyn,
I'm a SONY VAIO user from china,I also have this problem and here is my answer,I hope this will be solved quickly.
1) What make/model computer are you running? -----SONY VAIO VPCSD47EC/B
2) From what operating system, did you upgrade to Windows 8?----Right after I upgrade my laptop to Windows 8 from Win7 home basic.
3) Did you upgrade using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant or did you create an ISO to use that method to upgrade? Or did you upgrade from a retail disc?--No,I upgrade on line with Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. 
4) When do you get the error message? Please give exact details and error message.
A screenshot would be helpful--Sorry,I didn't have a screenshot,maybe next it happens.
5) Do you only get the error at startup or does it occur at any other time?-it happens before  the Startscreen(after detect Bios and hardware ). When my laptop is running,it happens occasionally.
6) Is the error message, a pop-up dialog box?--Yes,with a red cross.
7) What anti-virus are you running?--Nothing but Windows Defender
8) If you have uninstalled your anti-virus did you use the manufacturer removal tool to uninstall?---N/A
9) Have you run any registry cleaner either as part of an anti-virus or installed and run separately? If yes, what is the brand name of the registry cleaner?--N/A
10) Please check the event viewer in the system and application logs for any red errors. Then look to see if any errors mention mfc110u.dll or VUDesktopToast.exe.
Please copy and paste any relevant event viewer errors. 
ossie111
Found this helpful 10
ossie111 replied on

Same issue here...

After some investigation I found that it is the VAIO update application that runs in the background.

For now I uninstalled VAIO Update from "Programs" in the control panel - you can easily get to the Control Panel by clicking the Windows Key + "x" and selecting "Control Panel".

Updates are still possible through the "VAIO Care" application, just the checking and notification of updates will stop functioning.

I hope this helps!

Sabrina91
Found this helpful 0
Sabrina91 replied on

1) What make/model computer are you running? Sony Vaio Ultrabook - SVT13115fds
2) From what operating system, did you upgrade to Windows 8? Windows 7 to 8 - 2 days ago
3) Did you upgrade using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant or did you create an ISO to use that method to upgrade? online download - do not have a disk drive.
A screenshot would be helpful- I start up my computer, I get to work on something and the message comes up. Will send a screen shot next time.
5) Do you only get the error at startup or does it occur at any other time? Randomly pops up a few times while in use.
6) Is the error message, a pop-up dialog box? yes
7) What anti-virus are you running? Only Defender
8) If you have uninstalled your anti-virus did you use the manufacturer removal tool to uninstall? No
9) Have you run any registry cleaner either as part of an anti-virus or installed and run separately? None that I know of.

Red System Error: Log Name:      System
Source:        NetBT
Date:          11/28/2012 8:49:03 AM
Event ID:      4321
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Bree-PC
Description:
The name "WORKGROUP      :1d" could not be registered on the interface with IP address  <IP ADDRESS 1> The computer with the IP address <IP ADDRESS 2> did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="NetBT" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">4321</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-28T13:49:03.371900500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>7159</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Bree-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>WORKGROUP      :1d</Data>
    <Data> <IP ADDRESS 1></Data>
    <Data> <IP ADDRESS 2></Data>
    <Binary>000000000400320000000000E11000C001010000010000C005000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>
maxkxx
Found this helpful 1
maxkxx replied on

sure that realy helps im so sure that this is a virus im LOL@ you
The light of the sun within brings with it GREAT joy
Previous Previous Page of 6 Next Next