Windows 8: Hidden wireless networks will not reconnect on reboot/resume even if set to automatically reconnect. Is there a fix/hidden control panel?

I bought and installed Windows 8 Pro to update my ExoPC slate from Windows 7 and, while the overall experience is much better, there are several annoyances that I need to address.

In this instance, I want to ask about the wireless network controls of Windows 8.

While installing Windows 8, I properly configured my hidden wireless network (SSID "Brass") and set it to auto-reconnect. After rebooting, the network will not reconnect and I have to open the wireless network panel, select "Hidden Network" and re-enter the information to reconnect.

However, Windows 8 still remembers my old settings - even if it's not using them - as the new profile that appeared was now "Brass 2".

Another reboot: same problem. I am now down to "Brass 2 3"; that's 3 different profiles for the same config (SSID: Brass).

I know hiding a wireless network isn't the best way to secure it but, I prefer it that way on top of having WPA2 encryption. Besides, Windows 8 should be able to reconnect to hidden networks; why isn't it?

Also, how do I clean up all those duplicate profiles when out of range or unavailable connections won't show up in the network list? I can't right click and select "Forget this network" if it's no longer connecting...
Answer
Answer

I had the same problem and found this thread. I was poking around with the netsh command AlbertChew mentioned and found a solution:

Find out your profile's name:

netsh wlan show profiles

Set it to connect to a hidden network:

netsh wlan set profileparameter <profilename> nonbroadcast=yes

My computer immediately connected to the network and it has survived several restarts since.

42 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2024 Views 27,716 Applies to: