Disable network notification of Windows Media Player's ON status

I'm just finishing up building a new PC with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, and I noticed that when I started Windows Media Player 12, a Vista Home PC with Windows Media Center on the network displays a notification in the system tray "Windows Media Player found: <Win8-PC-Name>."

If I open that, I get a dialog with title "Windows Media Player Library Sharing" and the question "Do you want to allow this device to play content from your Windows Media Player library?  You can customize the music, pictures, and video to share."

Below that there is the Windows 8 PC name beside an icon representing it, and to the right of that a Sharing Settings button.

Below that there is a check-box to Disable Future Notifications.

In the lower right corner there are Allow and Deny buttons.

Of course there is the option to Disable future notifications on this Vista PC, but I don't want the Win 8 machine to broadcast/expose this information over the network.  Can I cleanly disable this on the Win 8 PC?

More info: The Win 8 machine, for the sake of acting as a specific-purpose file server, has the network connection configured with Sharing turned on, with the Private network profile in its default settings, and among the All Networks settings, Media Streaming is not turned on.

Hi John,

As per your issue description, I understand that the Windows 8 computer is acting as a specific purpose file server. The network connection is configured with Sharing turned on, with the Private network profile in its default settings.

Hence, I would suggest you to post this question in the Windows 8 TechNet Forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/w8itpronetworking/threads

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I did post there as well, but this is a behavior that home network users may have solved, and so I posted here also to include this audience of prospective problem-solvers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In your Network and Sharing Center, under Advanced Sharing options, you can disable media streaming from your computer by clicking "Block All".  It will no longer advertise the availability of media streaming on your network.

This should also stop the "Windows Media Player Network Streaming Service", but you can run services.msc and disable this yourself if you want.

Alternatively, you can set it to default to "not share" and then only explicitly allow the computers/devices you want to have access.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Shawn, those were just the sort of clues I was looking for.

Interestingly though, my results diverge some from what you were indicating.  As noted in the original post, Media Streaming was not turned on.  But perhaps you have to turn it on to get control of this bit of behavior.  So I turned it on, then clicked Block All and OK'd the change.  I rebooted just in case the change needed it to complete.

But at that point Windows Media Player Network Sharing service was still set to Automatic (Delayed), just as it had been initially.

And returning to the advanced settings in the Network and Sharing Center, and once again choosing to set the media streaming options under All Networks, I found that Media Streaming was not turned on (again).

So in this circumstance, it seems that setting Block All has the secondary effect of turning off Media Streaming altogether.

One thing that did work as expected was to manually Disable Windows Media Player Network Sharing via Services.msc.  (Which was a relief - I recall finding under XP that this service would mysteriously re-enable for reasons unknown.)

I see from this Technet thread https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/76cedde5-4e93-4b11-bf8b-168a41d377d7/how-do-i-turn-off-media-streaming that many Windows 7 users were having all kinds of difficulty getting Media Streaming to turn on/off and configured as desired, so maybe it's still not tamed in Windows 8.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 832 Applies to: