Windows 8 is not recognising my wireless USB mouse/keyboard

Having just installed Windows 8 I am now unable to use my desktop PC. I use a wireless Microsofr mouse and keyboard which has been working fine, and still works fine when connected to my laptop which runs windows 7. While I was installing it it all worked fine, I have used it a couple of times without any trouble, then one day it just stopped. I've even tried a wired USB mouse and this also got no response, didn't even light up. Now I can't get past the start image. Does anyone have any suggestions?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community forums where you can find answers to all your Windows related queries.

From what you have described, I understand that the wireless keyboard and mouse is not recognized by the Windows 8 computer even though it works fine when you connect it to your laptop installed with Windows 7. We’re here to help you with this issue.

Just a few questions first, to get a clear picture of the issue;

1)      When did this issue start? Do you remember making any recent changes to the computer before this issue started?

2)      What is the make and model of the wireless keyboard and mouse?

3)      What happens when you connect these devices to the Windows 8 computer? Do you get any error message?

4)      Are these devices listed in Device manager?

First, I would suggest you to check if the light on the wireless keyboard and mouse turns on when the computer starts. If it does, then try pressing F2 and f12 key when the computer boots and check if it works.

Hope this helps. Please get back to us with more information so that we can help you accordingly.

Cheers,
Ben.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The issue started just a couple of days after I installed Windows 8. Maybe after 2 or 3 restarts. I made no changes to the computer before the issue started.

The wireless Keyboard and Mouse is a "Microsoft Wireless Mouse 1000"

Nothing happens when I connect them after starting or if I have them already connected when I start. I've tried starting with the sensor unplugged, starting with it plugged in and the mouse switched on, starting with it plugged in and the mouse switched off then switching the mouse on.

I don't get any error messages, nor can I check the device manager because the computer sits stuck on the first locked screen which I would normally drag up to reveal the password window to log in to the computer.

The light is on on the wireless mouse, but it always is if it's switched on, regardless of whether the computer is on or not. Nothing responds, so I can't press F2 or F12.

Besides this, the computer (or Windows 8) also does not recognise a wired USB mouse (which also works fine on my Windows 7 laptop).

To summarise, it seems I have no working input devices (or more Windows 8 will not recognise any of my input devices) on my computer, and this has only started just a couple of days after installing Windows 8.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update: The wired USB mouse started working (again I changed nothing) but the wireless hardware is still not recognised. It does not show up in Hardware manager and searching for hardware changes brings nothing up. Searched for drivers but no luck (Microsoft site just offers me "Mouse and Keyboard Center" which doesn't help at all, so I'm left without a keyboard. Any suggestions would be great.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Since your mouse is working now, I would suggest you try these steps and check if it resolves the keyboard issue.

Method 1: Check Device status

I would suggest you to check if the device is listed in Device manager. If listed, then you can check the device status to find out what exactly is causing this issue. Refer these steps:

a) Right click on the left bottom of the desktop or start screen, select Device manager
b) Locate the device, sometimes it might be displayed under other names if not recognized correctly
c) Check if there is any exclamation icon
d) Right click and select properties, under general tab, check the device status.

Method 2: Hardware and devices troubleshooter

The hardware and devices troubleshooter can detect and fix errors and incorrect settings in devices. You can refer these steps to run this troubleshooter:

a) Right click on the left bottom of the desktop or start screen, select Control panel
b) Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
c) Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
d) Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

You can also refer this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/why-isnt-windows-finding-device

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we’d be happy to help.

Cheers,
Ben.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As already stated, the wireless keyboard/mouse are not listed in device manager.

I've run hardware troubleshooter and it's come back saying hardware is not properly installed, and then goes about fixing it, only to have fixed nothing, and then links me back to online help. Microsoft offers no drivers so I can't manually add it that way either. The computer makes absolutely no response when I connect/disconnect the wireless sensor.

Looks to me like I'm just going to have to buy a new keyboard/mouse.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar issue with win 8 after building a new pc and installing with a ps2 mouse/kbd.  I fixed my issue by reinstalling win 8 with the wireless kbd hooked up.  I suspect the driver needs admin priveleges or somesuch which are granted at install but not later. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a lot of trouble installing my Microsoft Wireless mouse. It is because it wasn't recognisable. This didn't happen at the first install, where it automatically hooked up with another computer.

What worked for me was:

1. turn on the mouse so you can se the blue sensor

2. hold the turn of button until the blue sensor starts blinking

3. choose "add device" in Windows 8, and it should be on the list

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Almost the same situation, except, the onscreen (touchscreen keyboard image responds).

And the external mouse responds, but the external keyboard does not show the images when

Used.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought a new All in one HP Envy 23 two days back which come with a wireless keyboard and mouse. The keyboard was initially working and now after updates its not recognised. The mouse still works. Surprisingly my samsung slate which also come with a keyboard also doesn't work. This is a windows 8 issue and not a system issue. But I think microsoft does not accept this.  As per my search on the net, this issue is faced by a lot of windows 8 users so there needs to be a solution for this or say its a windows 8 issue and we can downgrade to windows 7 till things are sorted with 8. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Received no specific answer previously, but after much trial and error, it seems to be working.

Primarily diddled with the blue tooth, the device info and repeated reboots.  Suddenly realized that

only when I first turned on the machine and used the onscreen keyboard to input the

key info  and the password did I get into the system Then afer the system accepted the info

then external keyboard and mouse worked.

Now it seems to be working consistently that way.  i.e. get into system , use the onscreen

keyboard, and subsequently the external keyboard and external numeric keypad  works.

Ron Villella

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2024 Views 171 Applies to: