Windows 8 + ATI Radeon HD 4800 + Hans.G HSG1078 = black border (overscan/sclaing)

Hi,

I have just updated to windows 8 and I now have a black border on my monitor. On windows 7 with the Catalyst Control Center I could set the scaling/over scan to 0 to get rid of this border. However, now that I'm on windows 8 it has installed a built in driver:

'ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)'

I've tried searching through the registry and I found a key: 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\HSD2275930RX3XY01004_1E_07D9_5C^C059E9215EA15066464C327475C20A08\00\00\Scaling' which is a DWORD and was set to 0x00000004. A few posts I found online suggested setting this to 0x00000003 and then restarting windows 8, this did not solve my problem (I also tried setting it to 0, 1 and 2)

Additional information:

- The monitor is a native 1080p HDMI display. I'm connected with a DVI to HDMI adapter. I have only one monitor connected to my graphics card.

- I've also tried downloading the latest CCC and installing it, but it refuses to run (the graphics driver doesn't get installed, so CCC has nothing to configure)

- the auto detect tool from the AMD website fails to detect my graphics card

- I've checked many of the older posts where other people ran into this problem but most of them were resolved by installing CCC and changing the setting there, which I can't do.

I hope someone out there has some suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark

Answer
Answer
Hi, 

I just upgraded my computer to Win8 last night, and today I saw the same black areas on the edges. It was really annoying since the entire screen was not being used; this is a problem I didn't have with Win7.

Anyway, I seem to have the same settings that you have and the same graphics card. I went to the AMD site, and tried to locate my specific card, but there was no help there since the drivers were not Win8 compatible. 

While I am writing this, there is a link on the main "AMD Support & Drivers" website on the "Top AMD Support Articles" section.  

Once installed, I opened the CCC and set the scaling to "0" and worked perfectly. 

I don't know if that's the CCC that you downloaded already. But, it worked for me. I hope it does for you too. 

Jesus. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 1, 2023 Views 14,872 Applies to: