Printer driver was not installed. The system cannot find the file specified.

I cannot add an HP DeskJet 1000c printer to Windows 8 64 bit Pro on a Lenovo laptop.  This printer is listed by Microsoft as being compatible with Windows 8, but when I go through the routine to add the printer, including selecting it from the list provided by Windows, it appears to be installing the driver for about 15 seconds and then gives the error message "Printer driver was not installed.  The system cannot find the file specified."  When I check the Windows Update log it shows as a failed install, and it no longer shows in Windows Update as a recommended update.

I have tried the detailed instructions on HP's website for a manual install to no avail.  I am an administrator, but it smells like a permissions issue.

Any ideas what I need to do to add this printer?

Thanks in advance.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks.  The Guidelines don't appear to apply to Windows 8.  The Hardware Wizard simply invokes the Add Printer program and when I went through it I got the same result as before.  I had found the drivers in the http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=HP%20DeskJet%201000c%20, but am not sure how to install them.

One detail I left out in my original description is that the HP DeskJet 1000c is a parallel printer and I am using a USB to Parallel cable converter to connect to my Lenovo laptop.  The Device Manager reports that the cable converter is working properly and it also shows up in the list of printers.

Is there a link to instructions on how to use the drivers that I downloaded from http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=HP%20DeskJet%201000c%20?  Any other advice would also be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Open Printers by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer for which you need a new driver, click Run as administrator, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. Click New Driver, and then complete the steps in the Add Printer Driver Wizard

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Find-and-install-printer-drivers

Install a Printer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-a-printer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Windows 8 there is no Hardware and Sound, the only access is to Devices and Printers.  And the Add Printer works up until it looks like it is installing the driver when I get the error messages.  Also in Windows 8 there is no option to Run as Administrator for the Control Panel or the Add Printer option.

I have downloaded the drivers from the Windows 7 Catalog but when I try to install them it says they are not compatible with the 64 bit operating system.

To me it smells like either Windows Update really doesn't have the 64 bit drivers for this printer or it is a permissions issue.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you get "The installation was not successful" error message,

If you click Details on this error message, the 'Error Situation Code: ******* error message displays on the computer.

Written for Windows Vista 64-bit - follow the steps on removing software

Did you try installing using compatibility mode?

Fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Edit:  See Install a Windows 8 driver with Windows Update

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no specific driver for windows 8, just a generic driver that will allow basic printing, but not much else. The best solution is to buy a new printer. Use the old one on your old computer until the ink runs out. Ink is the expensive part. New printers and all in ones are cheap.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 8 is different.  All you get is "Printer driver was not installed.  The system cannot find the file specified."  There is nothing to do but click OK. 

Assuming that the part of the error message that says that the system cannot find the file is correct, then it implies that although Windows Update lists the HP 1000c printer as a choice, Windows Update in fact does not have the driver file.  What I think I need is a way to find the driver file(s) and a way to install them manually.

Thanks for your interest.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would be happy with just the generic driver if it worked. 

I may have to follow your advice about just using it on the old computer until the ink runs out.  Although throwing away an otherwise perfectly good printer just because I bought a new computer and operating system seems to be against what companies like HP and Microsoft claim to be their responsible environmental policies.  In fact HP and Microsoft encourage us to fill up the land fills.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows 8 is different.  All you get is "Printer driver was not installed.  The system cannot find the file specified."  There is nothing to do but click OK. 

Assuming that the part of the error message that says that the system cannot find the file is correct, then it implies that although Windows Update lists the HP 1000c printer as a choice, Windows Update in fact does not have the driver file.  What I think I need is a way to find the driver file(s) and a way to install them manually.

I'd edited my last post and want to bring this to your attention in case you missed it.

Edit: See Install a Windows 8 driver with Windows Update

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I did see that and it doesn't work either.  I just end up at the same place, ie "Printer driver was not installed.  The system cannot find the file specified.".

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 27,761 Applies to: