After a clean install of Windows 8 I cannot get three monitors to work

I have performed a clean install of Windows 8 pro.  I have a Dell T1500 with a Firepro V4800 video card.  This machine formerly had Windows 7 installed and functioned with ATI driver.  With Windows 7 the three monitors worked without a problem.  Now, with Windows 8 installed I can only get two monitors to work.  I am using the most up to date Windows 8 driver for the card from the AMD site.  The third monitor can be seen on the Screen Resolution page but I cannot "Extend desktop..." over to the third one.  When I attempt to do so it gives me a message saying

"The display settings could not be saved.  Please try a different combination of display settings."

All three monitors are the same, Dell P2210.  I have tried different resolutions. I have tried the driver I was using on Windows 7, I have uninstalled the adapter and drivers multiple times.  I have installed just the drivers from AMD with the extras (hydravision, etc.).  I have used just the default Windows drivers. I have switch the placement of the monitors on the video card but no matter where I plug them in, only two will work.  All monitors are operational.  I have even tried different monitors.  All of this with no results.  I have tried using the Catalyst Control Center.  It sees the third monitor but simply shows it as being disabled with no way to enable it that I can see from within the Catalyst Control Center. 

This is the final hurdle for me to full use this Windows 8 machine.  I am stumped.  I have read many other forums.  I have heard of this problem with Windows 7 as well so I don't know that it is specific to 8 but very well could be.  Again, I had Windows 7 with three monitors with the same card.  Help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Answer

I have experienced this issue on a Lenovo three monitor setup using the built in laptop display, one monitor off of the mini HDMI, and a third monitor off of the HDMI from the OneLink Port Replicator.

In the end it was a simple fix.  When accessing the display settings, all three monitors defaulted to 1920x1080 and the configuration could never be saved - however the 3rd monitor only actually supports 1680x1050 which was the (Recommended) Resolution.  After changing the 3rd monitor to the Recommended Resolution I was able to save the configuration in Display > Screen Resolution without issue.

I'm not sure why the unsupported resolution was defaulted to - after selecting the correct one there is now no option to go to the higher unsupported resolution on that monitor.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2021 Views 5,247 Applies to: