Why would Microsoft remove the beautiful Aero Glass effect and replace it with flat colors and cheesy translucency?

No Aero Glass is an absolute deal breaker for me.  There is no way I'm installing those ugly flat windows on my desktop.  The transparency that is there which lacks blurring is an ugly joke.  On a scale from one to ten of how upset I am over this... I'm like 1000000000 seriously considering buying a Mac out of pure out-of-my-mind crazy spite.  I cannot even express in words how upset I am over this.  There is absolutely zero chance that I will ever install Windows 8 or Blue or any another Windows operating system onto my computer until Aero Glass is returned or something more beautiful is included.

I am not developing a single app for Windows until Glass is added back.  For my next phone... I was considering Windows Phone 8.  I even stopped by and played with one at Verizon the other day.  No glass?  I'm not wasting my time looking for mods.  Windows Blue is going to be very sad, because I am ditching Windows permanently if glass is not added back, like now, like before I have to spend a single additional second trying to find workarounds on the internet.  Yep.  I can feel an Android Phone in my future, and a sudden love for Java, which I currently hate, coming on.  Feels like the incredible .NET is being abandoned too.  Guess I better go submit my resume to Google.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.  Now is the time to voice it so it gets heard by Microsoft.  It may take some time before any "changes" will be made but it will be heard.

As for why Aero is being removed, the reasoning is probably twofold. First, while the Desktop paradigm can never be shoehorned into a Metro-style touch-friendly interface, these changes definitely go some way towards unifying the Desktop design with the Metro Start Screen and apps, Windows Phone 7, and the Xbox. The second answer is much more direct: Microsoft is simply trying to save on CPU and GPU cycles, thus making Windows 8 devices faster and more power efficient. All of those drop shadows and transparencies add a significant resource overhead to Windows Vista and 7, which is OK for a high-power desktop computer, but crippling on a laptop, netbook, or tablet

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/129620-windows-8-kills-off-dated-and-cheesy-aero

Paul Thurrott, over at his blog Supersite for Windows, argues that Microsoft is getting rid of Aero to save battery life.

“Aero, with all its glassy, translucent goodness, is bad for battery life. Metro, meanwhile, which is flat, dull, not transparent, and only full screen, is very good for battery life. It’s predictable,” he writes.

And battery life matters much more to the on-the-go tablet or laptop user, not the always-plugged-in desktop user. According to Thurrot, Microsoft no longer cares about its traditional desktop user base and has ditched Aero in order to cater to a “mythical” tablet user.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/microsoft-drops-aero-glass-ui-in-windows-8/

Enable Hidden Aero Lite Theme In Windows 8 For (Slightly) Improved Performance

http://www.redmondpie.com/enable-hidden-aero-lite-theme-in-windows-8-for-slightly-improved-performance/

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Just an assumption, Sinofsky and a few morons next to him just removed it, anther assumption someone lost a bet, or medicinal marihuana, or just for fun, or maybe for pure stupidity.

I am unable to think of more logical reasons.

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here, I don't really like the new theme that much of windows 8, the glass aero theme in vista/7 was good I have no idea why the removed it. Couldn't they have just put both themes?

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Although beta versions of Windows 8 used an updated version of Aero Glass with a flatter, squared look, Aero Glass is no longer the default theme on Windows 8, as Microsoft developers felt that interface designs imitating natural materials were becoming dated. Instead, the desktop interface incorporates elements of the new Metro design, which uses a flatter look with fewer transparency effects, solid colored window borders (designed to attract more attention to the content of a window), and fewer rounded edges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero

Aero Theme is Bad, Disable It

http://www.petri.co.il/vista_aero_performance_issues.htm

It was  resource intensive for the most part.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Natural look is dated?  No, the natural look is reality.  The flat look, with no depth or shadows or translucency is like... 1990's, Windows 95, 16-color dated.  That's how windows 8 looks to me.

The Aero Glass theme is the most modern, most beautiful theme I've ever seen on any OS ever.  Even the wild KDE Desktop themes and effects are cheesy compared to Aero Glass.  Glass looked sophisticated compared to the others, especially with the parallax of the glare effects when moving windows.

I'm a developer, and I've designed game engines.  I know all about performance.  Switching to a pre-rendered desktop (a.k.a. desktop composition) was a very smart and long-awaited move (Apple had it for a decade prior, based on my experience viewing their smooth window animation when I was in Jr. High (I'm almost 30 now).  This composition including the glass blend shader effects can easily be offloaded to the GPU, so this imaginary performance hit is ridiculous.  If there were inefficiencies, they could have been improved.  Finally, there was no reason to not make it available.  There is no reason the start screen couldn't have been a giant full-screen glass panel.

The Windows 8 start menu was old-news to me, considering I invented it back in 2003 when I was still an undergrad.  In my graduate work, I formalized the design with "scenario-based design" methodology and presented it to my class, as well as to Lockheed Martin in 2007 (who incidentally wanted to patent it, but I wouldn't let them, explaining that I had already shown it to many people and wanted it to be free).  It came complete with a full-screen display of icons (based on what was in your quicklaunch folder) that could be expanded in width to display additional information about each shortcut.  I used the F8 key with a global hook to activate it (since I couldn't hook the Windows key in Win XP), and to start a search, all you had to do was start typing.  After each letter typed, it would refilter the matching icons, by looking for the letter sequence anywhere with the shortcut name, filename, or shortcut description, so that typing "IM" would match "AIM" as well as "GIMP".  After each re-filtering, the non-matching icons would smoothly fade out in place, and the remaining icons would smoothly animate to regroup, in order, in the center of the display.  I have this all documented and graded long before Windows Vista even arrived, and even presented it at Lockheed Martin in 2007 as I said.  So as far as I'm concerned, Windows 8's start screen is nice, but it actually botches the idea I came up with long before.  If you read my scenario-based design specification (a formal specification from Authors at PSU which I adopted for my design), it details exactly why every aspect of this full-screen tile system with morphing "live" icons is most efficient, as well as more suitable for a touch display.  But again, Windows 8 got the details wrong, so it's not that great or usable.  For example, in my system, the icons remained in the same places so that your spacial memory could allow you to quickly touch the same spot every time at a given resolution.  It supported scrolling as well as page up/down, so you could skip pages and still touch in the same spot from memory.  Anyway, I'm glad they at least moved in that (obvious) direction, but I've demonstrated and reasoned that it could be done much better.  Nice try.

Bottom line, removing a feature does not count as a performance improvement.  How about removing the entire OS, that would free up a lot of processor cycles!  No.  The Glass effect was important.  The blurring was functional and aesthetically pleasing and calming.  I have zero interest in Windows 8 at this point.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft wants people to move away from the start menu and desktop, glass aero, gadgets, custom themes, startup and shutdown sounds and more cool stuff, honest,y Microsoft shouldn't do what they want, they should do what customers want. I might as well downgrade to windows 7 via Linux.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ask to be invited:

The Windows Experience Team at Microsoft is committed to making the Windows, Windows Live, and Microsoft Office experiences better for you. Much of what we do involves engaging with customers in focus groups, surveys, usability studies, and visits to customers' homes and workplaces.

http://wfp.microsoft.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Although beta versions of Windows 8 used an updated version of Aero Glass with a flatter, squared look, Aero Glass is no longer the default theme on Windows 8, as Microsoft developers felt that interface designs imitating natural materials were becoming dated. Instead, the desktop interface incorporates elements of the new Metro design, which uses a flatter look with fewer transparency effects, solid colored window borders (designed to attract more attention to the content of a window), and fewer rounded edges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Aero

Aero Theme is Bad, Disable It

http://www.petri.co.il/vista_aero_performance_issues.htm

It was  resource intensive for the most part

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EXACTLY, Microsoft isn't supposed to get people to go in another direction and change their windows experience to what they think, they should help out the customers and make windows better for them, in fact most people still use windows 7, I doubt windows 8 will become more popular.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't work for Microsoft, I just copied/pasted the information written regarding Aero.  If you want a bigger say in the development of Windows, click the link I provided earlier for Windows Feedback, join the Connect website and get involved in testing Microsoft software(s), etc....

Products currently accepting bugs/suggestions

http://connect.microsoft.com/directory/

Or, join Microsoft Development Network (MSDN)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Utter idiocy to make PC users give up Aero glass just to try and make Tablet users feel better about the ugly stuff they have to use.

I bought a PC for, Christ's sake,  I don't want a Tablet experience.  If I wanted a tablet experience I would have bought a F-ing Tablet instead of buying a brand new expensive PC.

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2024 Views 14,224 Applies to: