Custom hotkeys to change input language disappear frequently

I had the same problem in Windows 7, and it persists in Windows 8. This happened in three computers I had, including the current one.

I have configured three input languages, and I assign a hotkey (alt+shift+number) to each of them. However, after some time, the hotkeys are reset; sometimes it's just some of them, other times they all disappear. They often keep working, but there are a few times when I can't switch languages in any other than pressing shift+alt or by clicking.

This issue may also be related - Sometimes I can't change languages from IME to English or any other. For that, I have to switch between input methods in IME (with alt+`), and only after I do that I can use the hotkeys. Again, switching languages with shift+alt works, but the custom hotkeys don't.

Does anyone know the cause of the problems I described? Is there a way to fix it? Are there any plans from Microsoft to fix these bugs?

Thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You can access it by navigating through Control Panel > Language > Advanced Settings > Change language bar hot keys            

Indeed. Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same issue here - Windows XP hotkeys worked perfectly, then after switching to Windows 7 about half of them would consistently disappear. Windows 8 does the same thing. Korean (ctrl + shift + 2) is always fine, Dvorak international (ctrl + shift + 6) always disappears.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here - Windows XP hotkeys worked perfectly, then after switching to Windows 7 about half of them would consistently disappear. Windows 8 does the same thing. Korean (ctrl + shift + 2) is always fine, Dvorak international (ctrl + shift + 6) always disappears.
Now that you mention it, I should share something very similar - I have also noticed that my combination LAlt+LShift+2, which is activates the Japanese IME, often keep working, but the others are lost.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now that you mention it, I should share something very similar - I have also noticed that my combination LAlt+LShift+2, which is activates the Japanese IME, often keep working, but the others are lost.

I have this same problem too, since Windows 7 and now on Windows 8 too.  I set Ctrl-Shift-1 for English, Ctrl-Shift-2 for Japanese and Ctrl-Shift-3 for Chinese.  Sometimes after switching from English to Japanese, I can't shift back to English with Ctrl-Shift-1.  When I open the control panel and navigate to "Text Services and Input Languages" under "Advanced Key Settings" the setting for English has been wiped out.  It says "(none)".  I can manually change it back to "Ctrl-Shift-1" and it works for a while, then it mysteriously gets reset to "(none)" for no reason.

When this happens, I find that if I press Left Alt-Shift twice to return to English, then go back into Control Panel the hotkey for English mysteriously re-appears as "Ctrl-Shift-1".

This is a bizarre bug, but it appears that it is:

1. Independent of hardware (I've had this problem on seven different PCs)
  2. Existed for a LONG time (at least four years)
  3. Easily reproducible

Given this, why hasn't Microsoft made any steps to fix it or to even address it.  Quite frankly, the initial response on this thread was worse than useless.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just bought a brand new computer and Windows 8 64-bit.
I have been using Left shift + Alt + 1,2 shortcuts for changing input language
between Finnish and Japanese. Now DAILY my Finnish shortcut is disappearing from Windows 8
settings. It will reset itself to None. This is very very annoying ! I am stuck with Japanese input
suddenly when I am chatting in Skype with my friends and constantly changing the input.
This is the first time for me to experience this. I have been using this feature from Windows 2000.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Trying to replicate this problem and now I think I found the reason.
The reason for this is Firefox and Facebook combination. Facebook installs key shortcuts
to Alt + Shift + numbers. If you use these shortcuts when browsing Facebook with Firefox
it will replace these shortcuts from Windows and Input shortcuts are lost.
I don't know whos bug is this, Firefox or Windows to allow overwriting system shortcuts ?
You can disable website shortcuts with Firefox from about:config.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The reason for this is Firefox and Facebook combination. Facebook installs key shortcuts
to Alt + Shift + numbers. If you use these shortcuts when browsing Facebook with Firefox
I don't know whos bug is this, Firefox or Windows to allow overwriting system shortcuts ?

This bug has nothing to do with Firefox as far as I'm concerned. I don't use Firefox, and this bug happens to me while using Google Chrome and other sotware, too.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This bug has nothing to do with Firefox as far as I'm concerned. I don't use Firefox, and this bug happens to me while using Google Chrome and other sotware, too.

I got this with a fresh install.  I don't install Firefox and yet the problem occurs.

Microsoft blames this on drivers.  I even tried installing this on a virtual machine, and have the same problem.  Then to try to close this issue, Microsoft said they don't support Windows running in virtual machines, and asked that I call VirtualBox to see if they support Windows 8.  I think Microsoft is just clueless...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have Firefox installed and I get this problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, typical Microsoft response.  They don't actually look into the issue, just try to brush you off.  I'm surprised they didn't ask you to "First boot into safe mode, if that doesn't work do a clean install."

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2024 Views 18,677 Applies to: