Windows Update failure -Error code 0x80070005

Thanks Dennis for the file. I intend to scrutinise the content to see if I can pin down what entry with in it actually produces the error.

Regards.

Hi Gerry,

I had hoped I would have no more cause to contact you regarding my computer.  However, it has just failed trying to install an automatic update during startup.  Windows Update shows 9 updates that all failed to install this morning and all report the same failure code 80070005 which was the failure code from our previous encounter.

The filed upgrades are (in the order listed in Windows Upgrade):

KB 2971850  Security Update for Win 7

KB 2963872  Cumulative Security Update for IE11

KB 2973201  Security update for Win 7

KB 2966583  Update for Win 7

KB 2972280  Security update for Win 7

KB 2961072  Security update for Win 7

KB 2973337  Update for Win 7

KB 2952664  Update for Win 7

KB 2973351  Security update for Win 7

Is it likely to be the same problem as before?

Regards,

Dennis

Split by Moderator from this thread:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/failure-to-install-upgrade-kb2957689-cumulative/f3d0a5bb-dea4-414c-9588-f79b101b3cad?page=5#LastReply

Answer
Answer

Hi Gerry,

The fault has cleared itself!  I had to go out so was unable to do any of your initial cleaning measures.  When I came back and started the machine it did a restart part way through the start process then came up showing installation 100% compete.  I went into Windows Update which showed only one of the nine previously failed upgrades had installed properly.  I did a manual upgrade and all the previously failed upgrades installed properly.  Perhaps I should have tried a couple of restarts before contacting you?

Anyway, thank you very much for coming to my assistance again.  How does this get reported as cleared?

Regards,

Dennis

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2019 Views 3,407 Applies to: