Windows Update 80248014 error and XP mode

I have checked the suggested threads but did not see anything directly related.

I am seeing some errors in the WindowsUpdate.log that I am a little interested to find the cause.  My Windows update seems to be working fine, but the errors may be pointing to a future problem.

I believe the errors started when I installed XP mode on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate 6 month old system.  My other system without the XP mode does not exhibit the errors.  Before I uninstall the XP mode to test, I would like to know if someone has any insight into the situation or a suggestion for a solution.

WindowsUpdate.log shows the follow entries (many times):

668         1384       Report  WARNING: Reporter failed to upload events with hr = 80248014.

668         1384       PT           WARNING: PTError: 0x80248014

From watching the system is appears the messages are generated when the svchost (668), which holds Windows Update, tries to check for a registry value for a 2012 entry.  I do not show a 2012 value on either of my systems.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones\Central Standard Time\Dynamic DST\2012

There is a 2006 and 2007 entry, but not a 2012 and of course the entry would be in your time zone entries.

0x80248014 “WU_E_DS_UNKNOWNSERVICE -- the caller has requested some action on a service that is not known to the datastore”

My system clock seems to be synchronizing fine.

The XP virtual machine has auto updates enabled and has downloaded required updates.

Thanks for any help or guidance..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093  -  How to read the Windowsupdate.log file

No warranties or guarantees.
MVP 1st July 2005- 30th June 2016
WIMVP 1st July 2016- 30th June 2017

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have know about that reference for quite a while, but nothing contained in it to explain the problem.

Don't know why, but it appears having the XP mode installed is trying to get Windows Update to do something it normally does not do.

I connected the problem to the XP mode because the errors started the day I installed it.  The entries in the WindowsUpdate.log were made at the same time as the referenced registry query, as seen in Process Monitor.  Six queries with a file written to the log and six log entries at the same time.  The Protocol Talker seems to work normally for other updates .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Saltgrass,

·         Have you made any changes on the computer prior to the issue?

·         Which updates are you installing?

·         Are you able to install the updates successfully?

Follow these methods.

Method 1: Disable the security software temporarily.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect the computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable the antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time the antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2: Put the computer in Clean Boot  state to see if there is any software conflict as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Note: After performing the troubleshooting steps in clean boot, follow Step 7 from the link to return the computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 3: You can also install the updates (KB number) manually by downloading from Microsoft download center.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx

Method 4: Follow the steps from the article.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

For reference:

How to troubleshoot problems connecting to Windows Update or to Microsoft Update

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I could not discover the cause of the errors.  Uninstalling XP mode did not help.

I tried to delete specific items in the SoftwareDistribution folder, but in the end, only deleting the entire SoftwareDistribution folder stopped the error messages...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2023 Views 2,459 Applies to: