Windows 7 64bit: Windows Update Service Not Running. After restoring drive from 500GB to 750GB HD.

I was running Window 7 64 bit Ultimate on an Asus N series laptop with a Western Digital 500GB HD with no issues. I purchase a new Seagate 750GB hard and backed up my machine using Macrium Reflect. When I restore my drive onto the new Seagate 750GB HD everything boots fine but Windows Update won't run just like in the post: 

Windows 7 64bit: Windows Update Service Not Running (but it is running in services.msc)

I have gone through everything in this posting and nothing has worked. I have no idea what to try and I am deployed in Iraq with the Army so I can very well take it in anywhere to have it looked at or call tech support. Please help!

Answer
Answer

First of all, thank you for your Service !

See if this Hotfix resolves the issue - An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks is available
Be forewarned, if the following error occurs during the Hotfix installation, it's the same error that the Hotfix is intended to correct. 

Installer encountered an error: 0xc8000247

Which, is the same error shown in the WindowsUpdate.log when updating fails

DtaStor FATAL: DS: 0xc8000247: JetInit failed
DtaStor FATAL: Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC8000247
DnldMgr FATAL: DM:CAgentDownloadManager::CheckAllCallDownloadStates: GetSession failed with 0xc8000247

If the CPU is Intel, you may be able to update the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver to resolve the error.
Suggest you check the ASUS site to see if they have a more recent IRST driver.

HP download to update the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver
Error Messages Appear During Windows Update, When Inserting Card or Using Live Mail

In another thread with this issue, someone with a Sony notebook used the above HP download to resolve the issue but, I can't recommend it -
Here's the thread -Windows 7 windows update broken after disk clone

MowGreen
Windows Expert IT Pro - Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
NEVER FORGOTTEN

MowGreen

*-343 FDNY -*
Never Forgotten

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 20, 2022 Views 50,291 Applies to: