AA4PC
Had this question 2
Question
AA4PC asked on

64 bit Windows 7 SP1 fails REPEATEDLY.

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND(0x80070003) SP1 fails 64 bit

Anyone been able to solve this VEXING problem? I have attempted to use the SP1 update on 64bit Win7 so many times I have wasted more than 30 HOURS waiting on the darn thing to revert itself back to the pre-attempt condition.

And yes, I have tried ALL of Microsoft's suggested 'workarounds' to their (IN MY OWN OPINION) defective service pack.)

Any and all help appreciated in advance.

I reject your reality, and replace it with my own!
John_P.
Found this helpful 1
Answer
John_P. replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator

Hi AA4PC

The referance may be to this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099 on how to perform an In-place upgrade.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0
PA Bear MS MVP replied on

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. Did Win7 come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade from Vista to Win7?

2. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application ever been installed on the computer?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Is Win7 SP1 offered via Windows Update or have you been attempting to install it manually?

==================================================================

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for issues related to Windows 7 Service Packs. Availability of chat, phone or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Some issues may require more advanced support for which there may be a charge: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&gprid=14496&&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn

General guidance before installing Win7 SP1...
http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2011/03/08/general-guidance-before-installing-service-pack-1-for-windows-7-and-windows-2008-r2.aspx

Learn how to install Win 7 SP1
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/learn-how-to-install-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1

Win7 SP1: Installation tips
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2011/02/16/windows-7-sp1-follow-up.aspx

Steps to take before installing Win7 SP1 (from the Microsoft Download Center)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows Client (Security, Update Services, IE & Mail) since 2002
AA4PC
Found this helpful 0
AA4PC replied on

1: I built this system. Freshly installed Win 7 64 bit.

2: Avast! current version & updated (TURNED OFF DURING SP1 install did NOT help). I use ZoneALarm firewall, turned off, no help.

3:NO on Norton (I despise it with the fire of a thousand super novas.) No on McAfee.(I despise it with the fire of a thousand and one super novas.)

4: NO. I built it. Raw drive, installed, ran, boom, works good ALL EXCEPT NO SP1  update.

5: I downloaded the Prepare to install SP1 software, and ran it. I downloaded the SP1 and ran it locally. It did not work. I tried the Windows Update thing & failed. It's failed so many times, I want to know how to ask Update to don't even ask me about this SP1 again. I'll be happier to jknow when SP2 comes out. I'll try that once...

Any ideas on what to DO will be appreciated.

Sign me frustrated,

John

AA4PC
Found this helpful 0
AA4PC replied on

Come to think of it, SOME install or another (Glary Utils or CCLeaner) may have offered to install McAfee security, and there's a chance when installing it my spouse may have been unaware of my supernova dislike of it and MAY have allowed installation of it from within the other install...

WIll be searching high and low for it and eradicating alll occurances of it in files folders and in registry. WIll try one more time....

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

5: I downloaded the Prepare to install SP1 software, and ran it.

What "Prepare to install SP1 software" are you referring to?

Before you attempted to install SP1 manually, was it being offered by Windows Update or not?

Is Win7 SP1 RC installed by any chance?

You mentioned Glary Utilities and CCleaner in your other reply. Are you in the habit of use CCleaner's Registry Integrity component or any other type of Registry "cleaner" or "optimizer" (as suggested by the 0x80070003 - ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND error) and do you have back-ups of all the changes you've made using such utilities?

PS: No, McAfee Security Scan (Plus) shouldn't be the troublemaker here but I'd recommend uninstalling it anyway.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AA4PC
Found this helpful 0
AA4PC replied on

There was a software package on the site Microsoft offered and recommended it be run before SP1 to "prepare for installlation".

No, I didn't getg notice of a release candidate for SP, so no I didn't try to apply it.

As to Glary and CCleaner, I use them to get rid of garbage files and don't fudge around with the registry. with them or other utils.

AA4PC
Found this helpful 0
AA4PC replied on

Also, two things:

On my last attempt I watched it closely and the failure didn't occur until after it said on screen that 99% of the install had been successful.

Since you guys know all the directories (folders if you must call them that), why not write a batch file that will silently fail  if the directories exist, and if they don't CREATE THEM. Somene at Micrrosoft must be able to come up with a list of directories that the service pack writes to, a simple MS-DOS batch run as an admin might turn the trick.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

Q: What "Prepare to install SP1 software" are you referring to?
A: There was a software package on the site Microsoft offered and recommended it be run before SP1 to "prepare for installlation"

Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. Could you be referring to the System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) above?

2. Repost: Was SP1 being offered by Windows Update before you attempted to install it manually? (cf. KB2498452)

3. Are ALL of the following updates listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)?

• KB2479943, KB2482017, KB2485376, KB2393802, KB2479628, KB2524375, KB976902 & KB2454826 [and possibly KB976932]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for issues related to Windows 7 Service Packs. Availability of chat, phone or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Some issues may require more advanced support for which there may be a charge: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&gprid=14496&&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn

=======================================
Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AA4PC
Found this helpful 0
AA4PC replied on

Q1: Yes! (A rose by any other name...)

Q2: No, since the article clearly says you can't download it if you are getting automatic updates. I wasn't getting automatic updates, and I downloaded it, and it WOULD NOT INSTALL. I then tried the automatic updates method, which also failed miserably, eight more times for a total of NINE TIMES! Each time, it was a little over an hour waiting for the system to put itself back to the condition it was in before the update attempt. Nine hours of my time gone and not recoverable. I'm not counting the download time at my ADSL 1.5 mbps speed...

Q3:

KB2479943 yes

KB2482017 yes

KB2485376 yes

KB2393802 yes

KB2479628 yes

KB2524375 yes

KB976902 yes

KB2454826 yes

And your last "[and possibly KB976932]" is kind of non sequitur. THAT'S the service pack that won't install! No, it's not there, No, it won't install, and no, your questions aren't pointing me in any productive direction.

I had less trouble adding the networking components to Windows 3.X back when they first released those, circa 1992 (SMB/NETBIOS) when I was working in a factory building and configuring those boxes professionally.

I have been doing this for a long time, and this service pack seems to be FUBAR. (FUdged Up Beyond All Recognition - substitute your favorite "F" word). If it weren't the most powerful box I own, I would take the 1TB hard drive out of it and take a few shots at it with my P08 Luger or my 16 gauge shotgun, it's ticking me off so badly.

So, asking me (by KB article number) if Windows 7 SP1 was installed already when the problem is that it WON'T install has gotten under my skin a little. Try not to assume I am a rookie. I am not. I have computer experience going back to before the original IBM PC, the original clones, and the Tandy pre-PC models with 8" disk drives. I've also been up to my elbows trying to repair hard drive enclosures and drives for the DEC PDP-11 and Atex systems, I suspect before you got out of grammar school. Could be I have 8 bit ISA bus cards older than some of the people on this help board.

So now that we both know that neither of us is a rookie at this, maybe some productive suggestions please.

Please make no mistake PA Bear, I am not so much ticked at you as the SP1 they released. And I’m not really ticked at you, just a bit annoyed. Sorry.

PA Bear MS MVP
Found this helpful 0

[1] Q: Was SP1 being offered by Windows Update before you attempted to install it manually
A: No...

[2] And your last "[and possibly KB976932]" is kind of non sequitur...Try not to assume I am a rookie

A1. Did you read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2498452?

The fact that the System Update Readiness Tool had NOT been offered/installed via Automatic Updates could indicate that "system files that are required to install Windows 7 SP1 are missing from your computer." IOW, your computer may not be ready for SP1.

There are a few other SP1 Prerequisite Updates I haven't mentioned in this thread.

A2. My question was not a non sequitur and I didn't assume anything about your technical prowess or lack thereof: If Win7 SP1 Release Candidate were installed, it would be listed as KB976932, hence my question. (Of course, SP1 Final wouldn't install if SP1 RC were still installed.)

========================================================

Good luck!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AA4PC
Found this helpful 0
AA4PC replied on

Reply A1: I had specified that I had Automatic Updates turned off, had downloaded the readyness tool (which DID install), downloaded the Win 7 64 SP1 of which installation failed.

Auto update didn't offer it because Auto update was turned off, purposefully. I don't like Microsoft shutting my computer down when they feel like they should.I have had silent updates ruin very long video recodes because Microsoft set the update to reboot regardless of any tasks running. After that, I quit trusting the Auto update method. They've wasted a LOT of my time already.

Reply A2: I had already stated that the Win 7 64 SP1 had failed to install. It did not exisit in any previous incarnation, as I had Auto update turned off, purposefully and had not downloaded the SP1 RC manually either.

Pray tell, if there ARE more SP1 prerequisites required that you have not mentioned, why hold back? I'll gladly look up the KB articles, check my install logs, and install as necessary.

Previous Previous Page of 4 Next Next