Windows installer starts every time I launch internet explorer

I have a new HP that came with Windows 7.  After getting it set up, I noticed that the installer starts every time I go onto the internet.   When I click on internet explorer, a little window opens up with the message "preparing to install" opens for less than a second and then it disappears.  I thought maybe something hadn't finished installing, and that it would go away after all updates, etc. finished.  It did not.  I am thinking about the Windows installer clean up, but don't know if that is the cause either.  Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Dan
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Which version of Operating system do you use?
Is this happening only for IE or other applications too?
Did you make any recent changes to your computer?

Try to download windows installer 4.5, install it and check if it helps.

Also in services verify if the Windows installer service is set to automatic and started. if not change it to automatic, restart the computer and verify if it works fine.

First, I suggest you to run the Windows Installer Cleanup utility which will help you to uninstall all the old programs and then you may install the programs again.

Method 1: When you are working on your computer and installing a new program, the installation suddenly fails. Now you are left with a partly installed program. You try to install the program again, but you are unsuccessful. Or, maybe you have problems trying to remove an old program because the installation files are corrupted.

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility might be able to help. You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer.

Be aware that Windows Installer Cleanup Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.

Download and run the Windows Installer Cleanup utility by visiting the following link:

Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Method 2: Run Internet Explorer in "No Add-Ons" mode

Internet Explorer add-ons, such as ActiveX controls and browser toolbars, are used by some Web sites to provide an enhanced browsing experience. An error may occur if an add-on is damaged or if an add-on conflicts with Internet Explorer. To determine whether the error is caused by an add-on, run Internet Explorer in "No Add-Ons" mode. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box.
2. Click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons). Internet Explorer opens without add-ons, toolbars, or plug-ins.
3. Test Internet Explorer to verify that it works correctly.

Method 3: Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the issue

Use the Manage Add-ons tool in Internet Explorer to individually disable each add-on to determine which add-on is causing errors. To do this, follow these steps:

Internet Explorer 8
1. Open Internet Explorer 8.

2. Click Tools, and then click Manage Add-ons.

3. On the Show drop-down menu, select All add-ons to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer.

4. For each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable in the Information window.

5. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.

6. Exit and then restart Internet Explorer.

7. If issues do not reoccur, repeat steps 1 through 3.

8. Click Enable for a single add-on.

9. Repeat steps 6 through 8 until you determine which add-on causes errors to occur.

For more information visit the following link:

How to optimize Internet Explorer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Please respond back with the status of the issue and let us know if you have any issues.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2019 Views 11,509 Applies to: