Applies to:
X-RaNgEr
Had this question 4
Question
X-RaNgEr asked on

Windows 7 - Media Center - Pinnacle USB Pro Mini (80e) TV Adapter doesn't show QAM Clear TV Signal Option.

Hi All,
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and a Pinnacle USB (80e) USB TV Adapter.  Which works fine with the Software provided by Pinnacle, (TV Center Pro) using QAM Clear. However, I want to use the USB TV adapter with Windows 7 Media Center.  When I go into the WMC TV signal options, it doesn't show QAM Clear as an option.  Can some one please tell me how to display the QAM option?  And why is it hidden to begin with?

Bad Microsoft Bad!!!  Shame on you for hiding things!!!

Thanks,
Jay

X-RaNgEr
Found this helpful 0
Answer
X-RaNgEr replied on

Hi All,
I finally got it working, and only one draw back.

First I uninstalled all drivers for my TV adapter under device manager. I had to do this multiple times as it kept finding already installed drivers, but finally it ran out of drivers. 

- Reboot
- I pressed F8 during boot and selected "Disable Driver Signing" to boot.
- Once Windows 7 was booted, I installed the 64-bit Beta drivers listed above.
         (I have not figure out how to auto default to F8 and "Disable Driver Signing", still looking over this information, my plan is not to reboot very often for now.)
- Then I scanned for TV channels, technnicaly my adapter showed up as two adapters, told Window Media Center to scan for both adapters and it found all of my ClearQAM channels.

I have setup recording, I will see how that works, but so far Windows Media Center seems really sweet.

I hope this helps others, I know I spent many hours figuring this out.

Jay
Ajay K
Found this helpful 0
Ajay K replied on
Microsoft

Hi X-RaNgEr,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft answers

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the link below.

Set up a TV signal in Windows Media Center

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Set-up-a-TV-signal-in-Windows-Media-Center

Also, check

The digital TV transition and Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/The-digital-TV-transition-and-Windows

TV signals that are supported by Windows Media Center

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/TV-signals-that-are-supported-by-Windows-Media-Center

Hope this information is helpful

Thanks and regards
Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
X-RaNgEr
Found this helpful 0
X-RaNgEr replied on

Hi Ajay,
Thank You for your response, it is much appreciated!

I had reviewed the links you provide prior to posting my question on the forums.

Do you or any have any specific instructions for enabling TV Signal QAM Clear in Windows 7 Media Center.

Thanks,
Jay
Barb Bowman
Found this helpful 0

I don't see your tuner on the W7 compat list

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=TV%20Devices&subcategory=TV%20Tuners&compat=compatible&v=Pinnacle%20Systems

On Tue, 10-Nov-09 00:04:51 GMT, X-RaNgEr wrote:

>Hi Ajay,Thank You for your response, it is much appreciated!I
had reviewed the links you provide prior to posting my question on
the forums.Do you or any have any specific instructions for enabling
Signal QAM Clear in Windows 7 Media Center.Thanks,Jay

Barb Bowman www.digitalmediaphile.com
X-RaNgEr
Found this helpful 0
X-RaNgEr replied on

Hi All,
I got a answer from PCTV Support. They have a Beta 64-bit driver, which loads, but due to it isn't signed Windows 7 64-bit doesn't recognize any drivers which are not digitally signed. PCTV is currently working on the drivers to get them Digitally Signed as quick as possible, however, they could not provide me with an ETA on release, however, once they are release ClearQAM should show up in Windows 7 Media Center.

He did indicate the 32-bit beta drivers will work on Windows 7 32-bit, as 32-bit Windows 7 doesn't prevent non-digitally signed drivers from working, as Windows 7 64-bit does.

That being said, I am going to try and load the 32-bit drivers and on Windows 7 64-bit and see what happens. Anyone know if you can tell device manager to not care about digitally signed drivers?

The Beta Drivers for PCTV adapters can be found here:
http://www.pctvsystems.com/tabid/62/default.aspx/Downloads/Windows7BETAdriver/tabid/181/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Thanks,
Jay
Barb Bowman
Found this helpful 0

open an administrative cmd prompt

(from a user with admin privileges)

Bcdedit.exe –set TESTSIGNING ON

when you get a signed driver

Bcdedit.exe –set TESTSIGNING OFF

On Tue, 10-Nov-09 14:41:58 GMT, X-RaNgEr wrote:

ly working on the drivers to get them Digitally Signed as quick as possible, however, they could not provide me with an ETA on release, however, once they are release ClearQAM should show up in Windows 7 Media Center. He did indicate the 32-bit beta drivers will work on Windows 7 32-bit, as 32-bit Windows 7 doesn't prevent non-digitally signed drivers from working, as Windows 7 64-bit does. That being said, I am going to try and load the 32-bit drivers and on Windows 7 64-bit and see what happens. Anyone know if you can tell device manager to not care about digitally signed drivers?The Beta Drivers for PCTV adapters can be found here:http://www.pctvsystems.com/tabid/62/default.aspx/Downloads/Windows7BETAdriver/tabid/181/language/en-US/Default.aspxThanks,Jay

X-RaNgEr
Found this helpful 0
X-RaNgEr replied on

Hi All,
No dice.

I tried:
Bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON
&
Bcdedit.exe /set DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

Windows 7, shows Test mode enabled in the bottom right hand corner so it seems to do something. However, Device manager still has an escalmation point on the TV Adapter. The status shows "This driver is not digitally signed, blah blah blah"...

I tried to manally sign the driver myself, however, I am still getting the same message in Device Manager. I am unable to get this to work.

I don't know if there is a different between RC1 and the General release which I have.  Does anyone know what else I should try?

Thanks,
Jay

Barb Bowman
Found this helpful 0

1. did you run from an administrative cmd prompt and reboot?

2. can you uninstall the driver and run the installer as an
administrator?

On Thu, 12-Nov-09 14:13:49 GMT, X-RaNgEr wrote:

Hi All,No dice.I tried:Bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING
ON&Bcdedit.exe /set
DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKSWindows 7, shows Test mode enabled in the
bottom right
hand corner so it seems to do something. However, Device manager
still has an
nt on the TV Adapter. The status shows This driver is
not
digitally signed, blah blah blah...I tried to manally sign the
driver myself,
however, I am still getting the same message in Device Manager. I am
unable to
get this to work.I don't know if there is a different between RC1
and the
General release which I have. Does anyone know what else I should
try?Thanks,Jay

X-RaNgEr
Found this helpful 0
X-RaNgEr replied on

Hi Barb thanks for your reply.

Yes, I ran the bcdedit.exe commands with an Admin CMD window and rebooted.

Yes, I uninstalled All drivers for the PCTV adapter and reinstalled it via Device Manager.  The drivers do not have a seperate install, they are just drivers.  I am not clear on how you would install the drivers in Admin mode?   I am logged on to the system as an Administrative user.

Barb, if you could please stop quoting, it takes up alot of space, and seem unnessesary.

Thanks,
Jay
Barb Bowman
Found this helpful 0

I'm using an NNTP bridge to the forums as I don't have time for the web interface. I'll bow out and hope that someone else can help you that meets your
criteria for how you'd like answers presented.

For me, it is far faster and easier than having to refer 'back' which is time consuming.

Best of luck!

'

On Fri, 13-Nov-09 02:44:14 GMT, X-RaNgEr wrote:

and rebooted.Yes, I uninstalled All drivers for the PCTV adapter and
reinstalled it via Device Manager. The drivers do not have a seperate install, they are just drivers. I am not clear on how you would install the drivers in
Admin mode? I am logged on to the system as an Administrative user. Barb, if you could please stop quoting, it takes up alot of space, and seem unnessesary.
Thanks,Jay

Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next