What does '%ProgramFiles(x86)%' mean?

I am attempting to use 64-bit versions of my 32-bit programs under Windows 7 Professional 64. Since Adobe has yet to release a 64-bit version of its Flash Player Internet Explorer will have to wait.

However the Windows Media Player can be changed. The 'Start in:' field for the Windows Media Player reads: "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player"

I have two questions: 1) Why are there '%' signs on both sides of 'ProgramFiles(x86)'? and 2) Why are there no spaces in the character string 'ProgramFiles(x86)'?

Programmer for Visual C++ 6.0, and Microsoft Office including Access
Answer
Answer

I am well acquainted with the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node Registry Key. My computer was 'bundled' with all sorts of 'trial' software which I decided to remove prior to the end of the trial period. As usual the removal process left me with folders and registry entries which I decided to remove. The folders were problematic because I had to take their ownership away from the 'TrustedInstaller' but I was successful.

Thank you for your response. This means that in order to switch to the 64-bit version of Windows Media Player I need to replace the '%ProgramFiles(x86)%' in the shortcut to: Program Files. I also need to unpin the shortcut to the media player from the taskbar. Next I need to pin the shortcut to the 64-bit media player to the taskbar. Finally I shall need to update the 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe' registry entry. Pretty simple.

I wanted to update to the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer but, alas, Adobe has yet to release its 64-bit version of Flash Player. Due to this I have decided to wait for it to be releaseed prior to making the switch.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 10, 2024 Views 26,228 Applies to: