Solved... I have one program that errors with "Program too big to fit in memory"... runs fine in XP Pro.

The program is Samsung 'Kies' downloaded form the Samsung US support download site..  I have tried 2 versions and have downloaded many times... so it is not a corrupted executable.  Downloads and executes properly in XP SP3.  In Windows 7, it immediately aborts with a dos window message "Program too big to fit in memory.
Answer
Answer
Solved my problem.

I have tried downloading the installation program with 3 different browsers... ie, firefox, chrome... results the same with all three.  Tried download with AV (bitdefender) disabled... same result.

Finally I dowmloaded the kies installation program to my samsung tab, renamed the kies_***.exe to kies_***.zip, emailed the zip to my windows 7 notebook, renamed the file back to a exe, executed the file... success!

Windows 7 (security or networking), (or possibly something in bitdefender),  is mucking the file (probably the header) during the download process.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Try re-installing it in compatibility mode.

To Run in compatibility mode do the following:

Right click the installer>properties>compatibility>chose OS

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows?SignedIn=1

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 7, 2024 Views 35,136 Applies to: