[SOLVED] Explorer.exe crashes when Control Panel is opened in Windows 7 x64

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (OEM - Dell). Ten days back, I installed Visual Studio 2012. After this, I'm unable to open Control Panel properly. Whenever Control Panel is opened, a popup windows comes, stating that " Windows Explorer is restarting" and the window as well as all the other windows closes, taskbar goes off and the reappears. I checked with Event Viewer and I found the following details:

Level    Date and Time    Source    Event ID    Task Category
Error    30-10-2012 20:56:37    Application Error    1000    (100)    "Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfe0
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000000aa7d
Faulting process id: 0x16d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdb6b2ede43262
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 319606bd-22a6-11e2-81dc-b8ac6f578743"

In fact, the same error comes in Safe Mode too. I scanned with Norton 360, but no viruses detected. I'm unable to a reliable error source, as it happens only when opening Control Panel, no other application raises this error. Also, repairing the system did not fetch any errors. Kindly mention any easy method to rectify the error as I tried the full potential of Windows Diagnostics and Rwcovery Tool kit.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes. But, what has those two threads got to do with this error?

Balaji Kundalam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming you upgraded the Win7 (64-bit) computer to Win8 Release Preview (versus doing a clean install of Win8 RP on a separate drive or partition), how & when did you get Win7 installed again?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate. It has a feature of booting from VHD. I installed Windows 8 Release Preview to a VHD and then removed the boot entry via System Configuration. Therfore, no changes to my existing Windows 7 Ultimate.

But I find after installing Visual Studio 2012 Express, .Net framework 4.0 is raising the error that crashes the explorer. I tried with solution through the Action Center, but no solutions found. Any way of solving this issue, without removing Visual Studio 2012 Express?           

Balaji Kundalam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming Win7 64-bit with SP1 installed...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 64-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade from Vista to Win7?

2. What is the full name & version of your installed anti-virus application or security suite (e.g., Norton 360 v20.x) and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Again assuming Win7 64-bit with SP1 installed => Are ALL of the following updates currently listed in View installed updates (not Update History)? [1]

(a) KB2724197 [or KB2709715], KB2743555, KB2661254 & KB2749655;

(b) KB2744842, KB2705219, KB2712808, KB2731847 & possibly KB2736233;

(c) KB2698365, KB2691442, KB2655992 & KB2719985 [or possibly KB2721691];

(d) KB2685939 & KB2686831;

(e) KB2604115, KB2658846, KB2660649, KB2676562, KB2688338, KB2690533 & KB2656411 & KB2644615.

6. Is Java Version 7 Update 9 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (ONLY!) => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.5.502.110 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (ONLY!) => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

8. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

10. Please post the complete (i.e., verbatim) .NET Framework 4.0-related error as your answer for #10 in your next reply.

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1a. It was on Sep. 01 2010.

1b. Yes it is presinstalled.

2. Norton 360 v5.0

3. & 4. No. Each time I make recovery, the one month trial McAfee will be present. I uninstall it and install Norton 360.

5. Yes. I find all of the updates present.

6. Yes. It is up-to-date.

7. Yes it is up-to-date.

8. Yes. Firefox, Opera and Safari are present.

9. Yes, it is a part of Norton 360, but for the past 4 months, I haven't cleaned up. Everything was working fine, until I installed Visual Studio 2012. But when I felt the issues, I tried registry cleaning, but no use.

10. The details as in Event Viewer:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          12-11-2012 09:47:41
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Description:
Application: Explorer.EXE
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code e0434352, exception address 000007FEFE3FAA7D
Stack:

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-12T04:17:41.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>70540</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>kundalam-laptop</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: Explorer.EXE
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code e0434352, exception address 000007FEFE3FAA7D
Stack:
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

And also:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          12-11-2012 09:47:44
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Description:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfe0
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000000aa7d
Faulting process id: 0x13e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdbe62ee5e9a7f
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: e7748a40-2c7f-11e2-86c5-b8ac6f578743
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-12T04:17:44.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>70541</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>kundalam-laptop</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.17567</Data>
    <Data>4d672ee4</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
    <Data>4a5bdfe0</Data>
    <Data>e0434352</Data>
    <Data>000000000000aa7d</Data>
    <Data>13e4</Data>
    <Data>01cdbe62ee5e9a7f</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>e7748a40-2c7f-11e2-86c5-b8ac6f578743</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Balaji Kundalam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Each time I make recovery, the one month trial McAfee will be present. I uninstall it and install Norton 360.

Fact: Norton and McAfee applications are notorious for not uninstalling or upgrading cleanly. The accumulated "leftovers" may be causing your problem.

Roll up your sleeves, cross your fingers & try the following multi-step fix...

ACTIONS

[You will want to print these instructions for offline reference.   IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP & perform all Steps in one, uninterrupted session!  If a Step says to reboot, reboot! ]

1a. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:  ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

1b. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

2b. If you've EVER used Norton PC Tuneup (registry cleaner) since you did the last Recovery and you have backups of ALL the changes it's made, restore ALL of the backups (i.e., "undo" the changes) - then reboot.

3. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key handy, uninstall Norton 360 and LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons via Start | Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features.

4. IMPORTANT! => Enable the Windows Firewall immediately after rebooting! [Should happen automatically but I want you to check.]

NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've completed Step #7 below!

5a. Right-click on the file you saved in #1a above and select Run as Administrator to run the utility, then reboot again.

5b. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1b above and select Run as Administrator. to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot again.

6. Do a clean install of Norton 360 v20.x (using your Product ID, if need be; the upgrade is free as long as your subscription's current) & reboot; cf. http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080514162318EN 

NOTE: Do NOT enable or install any Norton Add-ons or toolbars (e.g., Norton Anti-Phishing) just yet.

7. Manually and repeatedly run (Norton) LiveUpdate until you get a "no more updates" or similar prompt.

8. [This step is Norton-related, too.]  Download/run the appropriate scripts from the following Trusted Source (my colleague IE MVP Kai Schätzl): http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

Note => The scripts are good for IE9, too,

Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains both of the scripts below (plus a third that you will NOT use).

9a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to run the script.

9b. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to run that script then reboot.

10. Re-assert Internet Explorer as the default Browser in the CUSTOM (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults. [1]

11a. Right-click on the following link and SAVE the download to your desktop: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/reg/chromehtml.reg [2]

11b. Double-click on the file you saved in #11a above & accept the prompt to MERGE the data with the Registry.

12. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 [ignore any DOES NOT APPLY warnings as well as the APPLIES TO section] & run the Fix It.

Note=> For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.

13a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 [ignore the title & Symptoms].

13b. IMPORTANT! => Dismiss/close the Windows Update troubleshooter pop-up! - then...

13c. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [3]

14. Reboot one last time and test Windows Explorer (i.e., EXPLORER.EXE) functionality.

15. Reply to this post with a status report.

Good luck!

====================================================
[1] After we've finished this thread, feel free to reassert Chrome as your default if you wish.

[2] Trusted Source: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions/

[3] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate your concern and the above processes you mentioned. I tried all the steps accordingly as mentioned, but unfortunately, it did not work, so I'm on the process of unistalling Visual Studio 2012. I wonder Visual Studio 2012 really supports Windows 7, peacefully. Also, I thought of mentioning the posibility of .Net Framework causing this problem. Is it poosible that .Net Frame work causes this issue? If so, any possible solutions available?

I can figure out the problem originating due to .Net Framework, if the detais of the list of files that are loaded each time when Control Panel is opened is known. Is it possible to find this?

Balaji Kundalam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you've EVER used Norton PC Tuneup (registry cleaner) since you did the last Recovery and you have backups of ALL the changes it's made, restore ALL of the backups (i.e., "undo" the changes) - then reboot.

1. Did you have any backups and if so, did you restore all of them and then reboot per the above?

2. Is Windows Explorer (EXPLORER.EXE) still "crashing" when you attempt to open Control Panel?

3. Are KB2761226, KB2727528 & KB2729452 all listed in View installed updates now?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes. Explorer.exe still crashes, even after unistalling Visual Studio 2012. I tried restore but in vain. All the updates are present - successfully installed.

If debugging is needed, how can it do it? The Just-intime debugger shows an exception in assembley, but I'm not sure how to change/edit the values in assembley.

Balaji Kundalam

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 7, 2023 Views 10,311 Applies to: