Applies to:
bobwallace95
Had this question 2
Question
bobwallace95 asked on

Programs are denied access to my users\appdata\roaming folders

Recently I started getting errors from previously installed programs like Primopdf and Filezilla. They are unable to write to their respective  folders in the Appdata\Roaming folders. The programs can be uninstalled and reinstalled with no problems. But during usage they are unable to write to the folders. For example in PromoPDF this error is returned:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\bob\AppData\Roaming\PrimoPDF\PrimoSet.xml' is denied

I have rub fixit on files and folders and also verified the integrity of the system files using the system file checker scannow command. Neither utility found any problems. I have win 7 64 Home Pemium with sp1.  I'm not sure when the problem started. It worked fine before last month. This is a stand alone pc, not on a network. Has a recent windows update somehow changed some setting on my pc? I have full privileges with my user login name to my user folders when I check on them.

Any ideas what I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Bob
Marilyn O
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Marilyn O replied on
Microsoft

You may have some corrupt system files.

Click Start
Type: CMD, right click CMD
Click “Run as Administrator”
At the Command Prompt, type: sfc /scannow

This will check for any integrity violations and fix any corrupted operating system files.

Restart your system.

KB Article ID: 929833 - How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Then try again and see if you can access the programs.

Rohit Siddegowda
Found this helpful 0
Rohit Siddegowda replied on
Microsoft Forum Moderator

Hi,

I would suggest you to refer the sectionCheck to see if the file is encrypted” and check if it helps.

How do I open a file if I get an access denied message?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/How-do-I-open-a-file-if-I-get-an-access-denied-message

bobwallace95
Found this helpful 0
bobwallace95 replied on

Thanks. I thought I had already checked it, but I looked again. I  DO have full security access to the folder and it is NOT encrypted or compressed. I can go into the files and edit them manually using an editor. Is there some type of security change dealing with xml that a recent windows update made that could affect the programs? Interestingly the programs were allowed to create the files when I reinstalled them, but they can't modify their own files. It seems the affected programs are having problems with xml files. Both Filezilla and PrimoPDF are anyways.

Bob
Marilyn O
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Marilyn O replied on
Microsoft

You may have some corrupt system files.

Click Start
Type: CMD, right click CMD
Click “Run as Administrator”
At the Command Prompt, type: sfc /scannow

This will check for any integrity violations and fix any corrupted operating system files.

Restart your system.

KB Article ID: 929833 - How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Then try again and see if you can access the programs.