KB3011780 breaks my Retrospect network backups on my HP 6300 system

I installed KB3011780 on an HP 6300 system (Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit with all other released patches to date).  We use Retrospect 7.7 on this system to do backups both to a locally attached USB hard drive and over the network to an Iomega StorCenter ix2-200 NAS (now supported by Lenovo).  The backups have worked with no problems for a long time.  The ix2-200 has Firmware Version 2.1.44.30050 which is up to date.

Over this past weekend, Retrospect tried to recreate ("recycle") one of the network backups, but failed part way through the process.  I restarted the backup and it failed again.  I rebooted both the NAS and the Windows system, restarted the backup, and still had it fail.  I shut down the Windows system and did a careful reseating of all the network and USB cables, just on the off chance that I was getting an intermittent failure, but the backup still failed after I did the restart.

Here is a typical error log showing the messages from Retrospect when the failure occurs (with most of the white space compressed out):

+ Normal backup using Backup B at 11/24/2014 2:16 PM
 To Backup Set Backup Set B...

- 11/24/2014 2:16:06 PM: Copying OS (C:)
  Additional error information for Disk Backup Set member "1-Backup Set B",
   Can't write to file \\netstorage1\backups\****-hp-6300\Retrospect\Backup Set B\1-Backup Set B\AC000099.rdb, error -1116 ( can't access network volume)
  Trouble writing: "1-Backup Set B" (2623012864), error -116 ( volume doesn't exist)
  Can't create session, error -1100 ( invalid handle)
 11/24/2014 2:57:57 PM: Execution incomplete
  Remaining: 133310 files, 51.7 GB
  Completed: 75 files, 1.1 GB
  Performance: 32.2 MB/minute
  Duration: 00:41:50 (00:09:11 idle/loading/preparing)

Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set Backup Set B, error -1100 ( invalid handle)
  Can't save Backup Set Backup Set B, error -1100 ( invalid handle)

Since these backups had worked flawlessly in the past, I decided to see if the recent patch for KB3011780 might be causing problems.  I removed the patch and restarted the Retrospect backup.  It ran to completion with no problems.  To confirm that the patch was likely the cause of the failures, I reran the recycle backup from the beginning, which causes it to backup the full contents of my system drive (C:), a process that takes several hours of intensive network I/O.  This completed with no problems.

I don't know enough about the technical details of how Retrospect does its I/O through the network to the StorCenter NAS device but I'd assume that it is using normal file system operations of some kind.  It does know that it's a networked device rather than a local device.  But clearly, the networked I/O was failing, and removing KB3011780 (and doing nothing else but the required system restart, and then restarting the backup program) made the errors go away.

I've removed the patch from the two other systems that do backups to my network storage, and hidden it on all of them.  So far, I haven't seen issues with it on any of our other Windows 7 systems.

Answer
Answer

Problems with this update have been reported, it doesn't impact on every win7 user

(its not caused any problems here with our backups)

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 251 Applies to: