Applies to:
Blue_Rocket
Had this question 28
Question
Blue_Rocket asked on

Is Windows 7 able to run 16 bit installers under XP mode?

Is Windows 7 able to run 16 bit installers under XP mode?
Chris - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Chris - Support Engineer replied on
Microsoft
Hi Blue_Rocket,

Thanks for using the Answers Forum.

There are a variety of modes, starting at Windows 95.
You should be able to run most 16-bit applications.

You can also download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Hope this helps.

Chris
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
David. F
Found this helpful 0
Answer
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello, Blue_Rocket

Assuming you can run the program on Windows XP, you might be able to run it. If you meet the hardware requirements you can go ahead and try it out. See the following link for the requirements and other information about Windows XP mode: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/get-started.aspx

You may be able to find additional information in the Virtualization section on the Windows 7 Support forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprovirt/threads

Let us know if this helps.

David
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
Chris - Support Engineer
Found this helpful 2
Answer
Chris - Support Engineer replied on
Microsoft
Hi Blue_Rocket,

Thanks for using the Answers Forum.

There are a variety of modes, starting at Windows 95.
You should be able to run most 16-bit applications.

You can also download the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Hope this helps.

Chris
Blue_Rocket
Found this helpful 0
Blue_Rocket replied on

The Windows 7 32 bit edition was able to run the 16 bit installer under Windows98/ME in compatibility, but i still can not run it with Windows 7 x64 edition under the same compatibility mode. Is there anything else i can do with Windows 7 x64? Will downloading the Virtual Windows XP Mode be able to solve this problem? Thanks
David. F
Found this helpful 0
Answer
David. F replied on
Microsoft

Hello, Blue_Rocket

Assuming you can run the program on Windows XP, you might be able to run it. If you meet the hardware requirements you can go ahead and try it out. See the following link for the requirements and other information about Windows XP mode: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/get-started.aspx

You may be able to find additional information in the Virtualization section on the Windows 7 Support forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprovirt/threads

Let us know if this helps.

David
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.
bcope01
Found this helpful 1
bcope01 replied on

I have the same problem as Blue_Rocket.  I've got some 32-bit programs on CDs with 16-bit installers (InstallShield) that I have been unable to use on my PC running Vista 64-bit Home Premium because Vista 64-bit won't run the 16-bit installer, even though Vista 64-bit would run 32-bit program itself.  I could install and use them on my old PC with 32-bit XP no problem.  I was hoping that when Microsoft developed Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium they'd give it the capability of running the 16-bit installers.  Know of any workarounds to get these 32-bit programs to installed, since once installed they should run?  Thanks
BrianCP
Found this helpful 0
BrianCP replied on

I'm currently the owner of a Konica Magicolor Laser 2300w; and its apparent that 16-Bit applications no matter what I do will not and cannot work with the 64-Bit infrastructure.
Laxyshark
Found this helpful 1
Laxyshark replied on

David/Chris, 

Along the lines of this thread.....

I have a 64-bit AMD laptop that successfully passes the all virtualization tests (Hardware DEP, Hardware Virtualization, etc.).  I was running Vista, but needed to run some 16-bit applications, and learned that Windows 7 had the "Windows XP Mode" as described above.  So, I purchased Windows 7 Pro, installed it, then installed the "Windows XP Mode", then the Virtual PC package.....  

After running XP Mode 'successfully', I have still been unable to load the 16-bit applications.... and I keep getting the same error message no matter what settings I put for the executable file properties:

"(16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem) Video device failed to initialize for fullscreen mode"......

I have tried almost every combination possible for the properties (compatibility, program with executable line with a "-q", screen settings, 256 colors, etc., etc.), I have tried loading the program with dos emulators (VDMS, etc.), and even tried modifying the various "Integration Features" for the XP Mode.  .....

I then tried simply expanding the cmd box to full screen (Alt-Enter at prompt) and that even fails, which led me to believe its an XP Mode issue....

The only way that I was able to get the program to load was to "Disable Integration Features" under XP mode, for some reason that worked (even though it didnt seem there were any video settings there).  When it did load the program ran incredibly slow for some portions, but most importantly the mouse over emulation through XP Mode through the DOS emulator was unmanageable (multiple mouse icons, on different velocities and accelerations, and dynamic screen limits/edges that reset outside of the DOS program's visual field, as the fullscreen did not even expand to the limits of the screen like it should in XP under the visualization settings I had).  ......

I am fairly good at troubleshoot things like this, and I have spent hours trying to figure it out, and am at the point where I think I will hand it over to you.... otherwise I consider XP Mode a failure for 16-bit DOS apps with fullscreen requirements. ......

I do appreciate the help, and to be clear, this program does load in a regular XP box (with some compatibility settings adjusted, and even better with a DOS emulator), and I even tried some old sierra DOS games that definitely run on XP and they failed too. ......

Thanks

The A-Team
Found this helpful 0
The A-Team replied on

David/Chris, 

Along the lines of this thread.....

I have a 64-bit AMD laptop that successfully passes the all virtualization tests (Hardware DEP, Hardware Virtualization, etc.).  I was running Vista, but needed to run some 16-bit applications, and learned that Windows 7 had the "Windows XP Mode" as described above.  So, I purchased Windows 7 Pro, installed it, then installed the "Windows XP Mode", then the Virtual PC package.....  

After running XP Mode 'successfully', I have still been unable to load the 16-bit applications.... and I keep getting the same error message no matter what settings I put for the executable file properties:

"(16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem) Video device failed to initialize for fullscreen mode"......

I have tried almost every combination possible for the properties (compatibility, program with executable line with a "-q", screen settings, 256 colors, etc., etc.), I have tried loading the program with dos emulators (VDMS, etc.), and even tried modifying the various "Integration Features" for the XP Mode.  .....

I then tried simply expanding the cmd box to full screen (Alt-Enter at prompt) and that even fails, which led me to believe its an XP Mode issue....

The only way that I was able to get the program to load was to "Disable Integration Features" under XP mode, for some reason that worked (even though it didnt seem there were any video settings there).  When it did load the program ran incredibly slow for some portions, but most importantly the mouse over emulation through XP Mode through the DOS emulator was unmanageable (multiple mouse icons, on different velocities and accelerations, and dynamic screen limits/edges that reset outside of the DOS program's visual field, as the fullscreen did not even expand to the limits of the screen like it should in XP under the visualization settings I had).  ......

I am fairly good at troubleshoot things like this, and I have spent hours trying to figure it out, and am at the point where I think I will hand it over to you.... otherwise I consider XP Mode a failure for 16-bit DOS apps with fullscreen requirements. ......

I do appreciate the help, and to be clear, this program does load in a regular XP box (with some compatibility settings adjusted, and even better with a DOS emulator), and I even tried some old sierra DOS games that definitely run on XP and they failed too. ......

Thanks

i'm also having trouble too, but running 32-bit desktop
witwald
Found this helpful 0
witwald replied on

... needed to run some 16-bit applications, and learned that Windows 7 had the "Windows XP Mode" as described above.  So, I purchased Windows 7 Pro, installed it, then installed the "Windows XP Mode", then the Virtual PC package.....  

[snip]

The only way that I was able to get the program to load was to "Disable Integration Features" under XP mode, for some reason that worked (even though it didnt seem there were any video settings there).  When it did load the program ran incredibly slow for some portions, but most importantly the mouse over emulation through XP Mode through the DOS emulator was unmanageable (multiple mouse icons, on different velocities and accelerations, and dynamic screen limits/edges that reset outside of the DOS program's visual field, as the fullscreen did not even expand to the limits of the screen like it should in XP under the visualization settings I had).
I had similar problems getting an old 16-bit DOS application to go into fullscreen graphics mode. I too spent hours trying different things. It only worked in Windows XP Mode when I too disabled integration features (which made it impractical for my use).

Then I tried using VMware Player, and my DOS application worked, and I had access to all my folders on the host, which is what I needed to have.

I think that the VMware Player is able to import the Windows XP Mode virtual machine that comes with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate (x86 and x64 editions). Certainly VMware Workstation can import the virtual machine associated with Windows XP Mode. From my limited testing, VMware Player with Windows XP Mode on an x64 Windows 7 system appear to make for a good, practical virtual Windows XP machine.
Reid Erickson
Found this helpful 0
Reid Erickson replied on

I am also having the same problem. I have used XP mode as well to try and run told Maxis games as well as Civilization and the first two Warcrafts, none are able to work on any mode emulations. I wish we got a straight answer.
BESMITH3
Found this helpful 0
BESMITH3 replied on

Try this, it worked for me:

http://www.windowsreference.com/free-utilities/dosbox-free-opensource-dos-x86-emulator-for-windows-linux/

Make sure after downloading the emulator you follow the instructions on the download page to 'mount' the directory where your old apps are located. Let me know how it goes..
Previous Previous Page of 5 Next Next