How to fix VBS script error 2738?

The InstallShield Wizzard reports "Error 2738 Could not access VBScript run time for custom action" when installing an application.  I have tried several solutions and none have been successful.  Using Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 Bit.  The most recent attempt to resolve the issue involved registering the VBScript engine via using the Command Prompt  as administrator - did not work.  Ran SFC - no irregularities.  The registry has been thoroughly cleaned.  Tried installing the application from different drives with no luck.  Tried the troubleshooters and solutions available at the Microsoft Fixit Center - no luck.  Looking for a fix/solution to this error that prevents application installs.  I would appreciate help with this problem.  

Hi Geno,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Based on the description that you have provided you  are getting Error 2738 Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.

I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link:

Windows Installer Errors 2738 and 2739 with Script Custom Action
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2007/05/31/windows-installer-errors-2738-and-2739-with-script-custom-actions.aspx

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article:  Back up the registry in Windows 7

If you have any other questions on Windows, please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be glad to help you further.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Solution found.  I appreciate your suggestion and the quick response time is impressive.  Examined the source supplied and the data correlated with the few sources and procedures I found and followed without any luck.  However, while looking for a solution on this site, one source indicated that a less than clean uninstall of the McAfee virus was at the root of his/her VBScript issue.  His/her solution was to download the cleanup utility mcpr.exe file available at the McAfee website.  Since I uninstalled the McAfee antivirus program prior to getting the VBScript error, I downloaded the mcpr.exe file, ran it and the program loaded first time.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Geno,

Thank you for your reply back!

Glad to hear that you have sorted out the issue. Let us know if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 11, 2023 Views 5,402 Applies to: