32 Bit applications do not start on Windows 7 64 Bit

Sometimes after boot up I cannot open 32 Bit programs, I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit with SP1.

When I attempt to run a 32 Bit programme it appears in the task manager as a process, but not an application. For example if I open Word WINWORD.EXE *32 appears in the Processes tab using 108K of memory, but nothing appears in the Application Tab.

In the resource monitor the process WINWORD.EXE is described as Suspended, right clicking and choosing Resume Process allow Word to Open Normally. This happens to all 32 Bit programs except those that are already running at start up. For example I have Windows Live Mesh running and that can be opened normally.

In addition the computer does not shut down; it gets to the logging off screen and then stays there with the blue circle going around.

Thinks I have already checked:

It is not virus/malware etc, I have run full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials

The problem does not occur in safe mode

Answer
Answer

Hi,

·         Do you get an error message when trying to open a 32-bit application?

·         Do 64-bit applications run successfully?

I would suggest you to follow the steps below:

Method 1:

This may happen if third party program installed on the computer are interfering with the computer process I would suggest you to try in clean boot follow the steps in the article below for clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Follow the step 7 from the article to “Reset the computer to start as usual”, after performing the clean boot troubleshooting.

Method 2:

Al so check event logs for applications and systems errors follow the steps in the link below for event logs:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-information-appears-in-event-logs-Event-Viewer

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,248 Applies to: