Luke Topham
Had this question 105
Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies
Luke Topham asked on

Windows 7 Build 7600 this copy of windows is not genuine BUT IT IS

28th December 2009 I bought a HP Advent laptop from PC world England (I presume this site is american), this laptop came with Windows 7 preinstalled. I have had no problems at all and I actually like the software.

Today I noticed in the bottom right hand corner of my wallpaper this mark 'Windows 7 Build 7600 This copy of Windows is not genuine'. Obviously I have bought this software legally with my laptop so why is this saying this? Do I need to activate it? I didnt think I did since it was preinstalled I never had to with XP on my last laptop.

I tried microsoft supprt, when asked for the Product ID (I dont have my documents in this house) I clicked FIND which it could not.

I aplogise if (and I probably have) I have posted this in the wrong section, and also if this is answered in another post, but the posts I saw were from upgrading mine is from a new computer.

I appreciate any help or advice.

** I have found my Product ID and when I enter it on the Microsoft support sheet it says there is a problem with it, though I made sure it was in the correct format (though the example was numbers only mine included letters? I dunno). I may pop into PC world monday or something

*** The sign has 'magically' dissapeared problem over I guess
Ron of Canada
Found this helpful 19
Answer
Ron of Canada replied on

Luke, this should not happen, do this:Click Start and in the Run box type slui.exe 4, Enter. Select an activation centre near you, call, speak with a real person and explain what happened.

hbaruzzi, from your post it seems like you have used a product key from one of your computers on another one. You cannot do this. You many use a product key on one computer only. Your problem is simply different from Lukes. If you have 2 computers you need 2 copies of windows=2 product keys.
Ron
Afzal Taher
Found this helpful 7
Answer
Afzal Taher replied on
Microsoft

Hi Luke Topham,

The one which you entered is a product ID which can be found in your computer’s sytem properties. and it is not the product key. Product ID contains only
numbers and produckt key is alpha numeric.

The message disappeared because when you connected your computer to Internet, your copy of windows was automatically activated.

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Afzal Taher
Found this helpful 34
Most Helpful Reply
Afzal Taher replied on
Microsoft

HI,

Have you replaced any hardware, or reinstalled Windows 7?

It is possible that Windows 7's Licensing Store may be corrupt or unreadable.  Try the below steps to recreate the Store.

1) Open an Internet Browser
2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
3) Find the file CMD.exe
4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
5) Type: net stop sppsvc   (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.
6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
9) Type: net start sppsvc
10) Type: slui.exe
11) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may
occur automatically.

If you have a product key, then you can reactivate Windows 7.

1. Click the Start button
2. Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key
3. Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer
4.  Click the Next button.
5. You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

You can also activate by phone by following these steps:

2. Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key
3. Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button
4. The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/950929/en=us             

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support.

Afzal Taher
Found this helpful 7
Answer
Afzal Taher replied on
Microsoft

Hi Luke Topham,

The one which you entered is a product ID which can be found in your computer’s sytem properties. and it is not the product key. Product ID contains only
numbers and produckt key is alpha numeric.

The message disappeared because when you connected your computer to Internet, your copy of windows was automatically activated.

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support.

hbaruzzi
Found this helpful 3
hbaruzzi replied on

I have a similar problem, I boutght a new Gateway laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed then I upgraded to Ultima with legal retail store already installed in another new family compiuter and had not problems until recently that is asking to re-activate but product key is not working... Please help \humberto

Ron of Canada
Found this helpful 19
Answer
Ron of Canada replied on

Luke, this should not happen, do this:Click Start and in the Run box type slui.exe 4, Enter. Select an activation centre near you, call, speak with a real person and explain what happened.

hbaruzzi, from your post it seems like you have used a product key from one of your computers on another one. You cannot do this. You many use a product key on one computer only. Your problem is simply different from Lukes. If you have 2 computers you need 2 copies of windows=2 product keys.
Ron
Luke Topham
Found this helpful 1
Luke Topham replied on

Thanks for your time and answer, it just seemed strange to me since I had been connected to the internet on this same laptop for over a month, so I thought that would have been done when I first signed up.

Well i have no more problems seems as though everything is sorted and I am still enjoying Windows 7. Thanks again

k30
Found this helpful 2
k30 replied on

I bought a copy of Windows7 from Costco on Dec 2009 for upgrading 3 computers (from Windows XP), I have installed windows 7 for 2 computers for 2 months. Now (02/24/10) on my desktop, I get the same message of " Windows 7, Build 7600, This copy of Windows is not genuine".  I retyped the product key many times when asked. Definitely, it's something wrong with Microsoft or Costco.

Afzal Taher
Found this helpful 34
Afzal Taher replied on
Microsoft

HI,

Have you replaced any hardware, or reinstalled Windows 7?

It is possible that Windows 7's Licensing Store may be corrupt or unreadable.  Try the below steps to recreate the Store.

1) Open an Internet Browser
2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
3) Find the file CMD.exe
4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
5) Type: net stop sppsvc   (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.
6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
9) Type: net start sppsvc
10) Type: slui.exe
11) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may
occur automatically.

If you have a product key, then you can reactivate Windows 7.

2. Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key
3. Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer
4.  Click the Next button.
5. You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

You can also activate by phone by following these steps:

2. Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key
3. Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button
4. The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/950929/en=us             

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support.

Ron of Canada
Found this helpful 1
Ron of Canada replied on

k30, Did you buy the Family Pack or one copy? If you bought 1 copy you many use it on 1 computer only. That is why you might be having problems.
Ron
Jerry in Maryland
Found this helpful 2
Jerry in Maryland replied on

Luke,

I just experienced a similar problem with Windows 7.  I bought a legal copy of the OS on the day it was available to the public, then the retail store installed it on my Dell laptop for me.  All the time since it has worked flawlessly.  Today, I installed a new Intel chipset driver available on the Windows Update website.  After the reboot, I received the same message you did- This copy of Windows is not genuine.  Rather than mess with how to fix this error, I used the Windows 'rollback' feature to reverse to the previous driver and to the restore pont created when the download began.  Now the error message is gone and the computer works fine.  Hope this helps. 

Luke Topham
Found this helpful 2
Luke Topham replied on

Ahh I see what you mean there, and I understand the rollback feature, however my security prevents me from using that while enabled... thank you for your answer and experience, but if there is a moderator reading this message i think this thread should be locked, the solution has long been answered. Thanks to everyone who helped, it seems quite rare for problems to occur on Windows 7 it seems like a really solid system.