MJKeller
Had this question 2
Question
MJKeller asked on

Will my Windows 7 Pro 64-bit product key work with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit as well?

Hello, I recently purchased a copy of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit from the university I attend. According to the Windows Upgrade adviser my laptop (Vista Business 32-bit) would be fully compatible with either 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7. I installed the 64-bit only to find that around half of my drivers are incompatible and I need to install the 32-bit edition. To avoid having to buy a whole new copy, my question is will the product key that came with my copy of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit also work on a copy of Windows 7 Pro 32-bit?

My DVD says "Licensed for use only by students and faculty" around the edge of the disc. In the middle it says "Windows 7 Professional - 64-bit x64 Upgrade - October 2009 Student Systems Media"

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
TrekDozer
Found this helpful 1
Answer
TrekDozer replied on
The Windows 7 key should work with both 32 and 64 bit, but only one can be installed at a time per license key.

You may need to call to reactivate. If you have trouble activating Windows 7 open the Windows Activation Wizard while in Windows 7 to use the phone and activate Windows:
If you are currently in the install process - at the Enter Your Product Key page, do not enter your key and uncheck "Automatically Activate When Online"
1. When you reach the desktop, Click Start, then in the Search box type:  slui.exe 4
2. Press Enter on your Keyboard
3. Select your Country.
4. Select the Phone Activation option, then call the number given and hold for a real person.

For more details: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.
MJKeller
Found this helpful 0
MJKeller replied on

Thanks for the fast response!

On my laptop I actually never activated the Windows 7 64-bit product key. In the welcome center it still said "3 days until activation". Once I realized that half of my drivers weren't going to work I formatted the drive and reinstalled the Vista Business 32-bit that came on my laptop. So currently the product key is not licensed to any machine.

I have a Windows 7 Pro 32-bit disc from my fiancee's computer. I was just going to use that disc to install Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and then use my product key from the Win7 Pro 64-bit that I just purchased for activation. I had just wanted to make sure that it would work before going through all the hassle of installing/uninstalling again.

Thank you again!
TrekDozer
Found this helpful 1
TrekDozer replied on

I have a Windows 7 Pro 32-bit disc from my fiancee's computer.
If that Windows 7 disk is an OEM disk (from HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.) it may not work. If the disk is a retail Windows 7 DVD from Microsoft you should be fine.

MCC 2011

TrekDozer

MJKeller
Found this helpful 0
MJKeller replied on

Yes, I believe it is a retail copy. She had ordered it for her laptop through the $30 student promotion through the Windows Win741.com promotion back in October. Those were retail copies correct?
TrekDozer
Found this helpful 1
TrekDozer replied on

Those were retail copies correct?
Yes.

MCC 2011

TrekDozer

MJKeller
Found this helpful 0
MJKeller replied on

Excellent. I appreciate all your help!

I will try installing it this evening and hopefully it will work!
MJKeller
Found this helpful 0
MJKeller replied on

I just wanted to update this. I installed Windows 7 Pro 32-bit this night and my Pro 64-bit product key worked just fine. Windows activated online after installation with no problems.

Thanks again!